Why become a member? ×

Anyone plugged their bass into a kaossilator ?

Yesno.
I have tried to connect my bass to a Kaoss Pad or two (some routing needed coz of the voltage/impedance stuff, I think), but not to a Kaossilator yet. Am planning to do this as soon as possible though.
Are you asking for guidance, or did you just want to know whether there are other weird people here?

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1400059013' post='2450219']
Can someone explain in easy bassist-friendly words what a Kaossilator is?
[/quote]

Yes! Someone can!
Does that answer your question?
;)

In its basic form, a Kaossilator is a loop synth aka phrase synth.
Wait!
Don't panic!
More follows!
It has a number of readily made synth sounds built in (100 presets in the original Kaossilator).
When you choose one of those sounds, you can use the touch panel to play that sound. Often the X-axis of the panel will command the frequency, and the Y-axis will command a certain sound characteristic like for example filter cut-off frequency.
The phrase or loop bit enters the picture when you hold a record button while playing the panel. From that moment, everything you do will be recorded, and will be repeated when a preset amount of time (or bars rather) is reached.

One can decide on tempo and number of bars that a loop has, and also what kind of scale to use and in what key.
Then one can start layering by choosing a sound and playing a loop length of that sound, and repeating that ad infinitum.

Many would probably start by choosing a rhythmic pattern first (there's 10 or 20 of them built in), and then adding material to that repeating bit.

I'll try and dig up a YT vid that shows the essence, and one that shows advanced use of possibilites I haven't mentioned yet.

Edit: here's a track showing both the looping and the free playing over the loop.
This track is easy to find out about (as in how he does it and what settings he uses) and easy to play for a loser like me. In fact, if you dig through the comments, you'll find my listing of all of his settings (user v8bert).

[media]http://youtu.be/u3_yXmIfmYg[/media]

..and here's a track showing advanced use by someone totally in control of "slicing" and tempo changes and their effects on the track. This track is hard to find out about and will forever be impossible to play for a loser like me. In fact, if you dig through the comments, you'll not find my listing of his settings. :)

[media]http://youtu.be/IscBTcjE5K0[/media]

Edited by BassTractor

Kaossilator has no input function. It only has output as its a generator

Kaoss pad has input yes

And it's great fun :) I've got both kp mini and kp3 and it is super fun. Fed it all through the mixer. Really crazy combinations

The only downfall is that you can't play with both at same time. Not enough hands.

Ah, I now seem to understand there's a bit of mixedupness going on.
Ray atM, when you refer to a K Pro, you're referring to the synth Kaossilator Pro. (The effects unit of same shape and generation is the Kaoss Pad 3 (KP3).)

When you refer to the Mini-KP, you're referring to the effects unit Kaoss Pad Mini. (The synth of same shape and generation is the Kaossilator.)

My guess is now that you want to play the bass, and have a Korg effects unit connected to it. That can be done, but you'll appreciate that the Kaoss Pads excel when one is trimming their effects live, with a finger on the touch pad, which can be demanding for a bass player.

A totally different way of working is to play something on the bass, and store that in a Kaossilator Pro, and then use that snippet in a Kaossilator loop. I'll try and dig up a YT vid from NAMM 2010 that demonstrates this use.

Edit: here it is:

[media]http://youtu.be/Zcyt5_2erS4[/media]

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1400060028' post='2450243']
Btw; I still don't know how to upload you pube clips onto Basschat ;)
[/quote]

No worries. That's quite easy:
Go to the vid in question, click on Share under the vid, copy the code from the code box and paste it into your BC post. The forum software will automatically ad 'media' forum tags around it so it gets shown correctly when your post is read.

Mr bass tractor , you are a man of many talents.
I salute you ;)
The(almost) last paragraph , where you record a loop on the kp pro is what appeals to me.

The cheaper way( the mini kp ) looks good but is a bit difficult , as you have to have your finger on it to record.
Cheers .still waiting for someone to say "do it" "get one" ;)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1400072002' post='2450430']
Mr bass tractor , you are a man of many talents.
I salute you ;)
[/quote]

Salute all you will, but you'll only be saluting a man of many lacks of talents. :D
Thanks though! :)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1400072002' post='2450430']
The(almost) last paragraph , where you record a loop on the kp pro is what appeals to me.

The cheaper way( the mini kp ) looks good but is a bit difficult , as you have to have your finger on it to record.
Cheers .still waiting for someone to say "do it" "get one" ;)
[/quote]

Ray atM, I love you like a brother, but hold your horses!
I know this stuff is confusing, but that's not a [b]KP-Pro[/b] (a non existing Kaoss Pad Pro), but a [b]K-Pro[/b] (Kaossilator Pro) (which incidentally often is called a Kaoss Pad Pro by innocent bystanders).
The Mini-KP OTOH is a Kaoss Pad, and will not do this. It will take the signal from your (somewhat amplified / stepped up) bass, but will not store the signal, and will not loop it.

AFAIK, the only model to date that will loop what you play on the bass is the Kaossilator Pro and Pro Plus, but I must hasten to add that there may be a model I don't know that will do it.
Also, but I must investigate this first, there's a good possibility that a Kaoss Pad 3 (KP3) will do it, as it has sampling.

The Kaossilator app for iPads and the like might do it, but I guess it doesn't. I haven't seen such functionality on it myself yet. It's quite different (in a fun way) to the other Kaossilators through its visual access to what I'd call style bits (too much to elaborate right now).

For clarity's sake, I own the Kaossilator (KO-1), Kaoss Pad Mini (Mini-KP) and Kaoss Pad Quad, and have the manuals to look stuff up should you need me to. The Kaossilator Pro Plus and the Kaoss Pad 3 are next on my shopping list, but I don't know if I can afford them this summer.

Yup, whatever you go for, if it is to take a bass signal and loop that, then it's one of the expensive ones.
That said, they are sooo totally worth it IMHO.

The little KO-1 just has two bars (to put it simply), and no switching between four different set-ups like the Pro has, and no form of memory to store anything on. Switch it off, and you're gonna start from scratch the next time
(...which btw is one of its charms to me personally: it's very much a "so-so-art-in-the-moment" thing, and ideal during commuting by train and the like due to its size (and its battery compartment!). I always have it with me when travelling, and even when fetching one of the kids (having to wait is not boring anymore). I love it, and will certainly not sell it once I have a K-Pro+.)

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1400073812' post='2450458']
Also, but I must investigate this first, there's a good possibility that a Kaoss Pad 3 (KP3) will do it, as it has sampling.
[/quote]

Now confirmed.
It will allow you to hold up to four samples that can be looped or used as one-shot samples.

So the next question is whether one of the cheaper, newer, ones also will do it.

Edit: Yes! The Kaoss Pad 2 will record and loop a snippet of max 6 seconds, less than half of what the KP3 will do.
My guess is the new KP4 will do a lot better in that regard, as the prices of memory have gone down considerably.

Edited by BassTractor