Why become a member? ×

AKG Perception series are not repairable.

Dad3353

Good afternoon...

We have an AKG Perception 400, about 3 years old, which is used very intermittently for light home-studio use (vocals, acoustic instruments...). I suppose it has had, in all, about a dozen hours of use in all. We took it from its box last week, but no sound..! Cables checked, phantom power ok, swapped for another condenser mic, which worked. I asked the AKG SAV how to get it serviced; they reply that, in guarantee, they swap for new, but beyond that, it is scrap. The mic cost several hundred euros new, and is now a paper-weight, apparently. I just thought it could be of interest to have this information diffused for others to include in their decision-making. We have several AKG mics, including D5s and C5, which give satisfaction, but I, for one, will know to spend either less on a throw-away mic, or more on a mic which will a) not break in the first instance, and B) if break it does, can at least be repaired.
Any recommendations for equivalents to the Perception 400 that won't end up as scrap..?

Although your based in France I'm sure there some similar EU type law / guidance / ruling whatever they call it that we apply in the UK regarding "fit for service". If a TV or washing machine goes but within 5 years, although its out of the initial 12 month warranty, you can argue that its not fit for purpose and get a replacement. I would check on this and get back to the supplier arguing that mics under normal use should last more than 3 years. Might be worth a try.

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1400084857' post='2450616']...Might be worth a try.[/quote]

Thanks, Ace, I'm not yet through with trying to get some satisfaction from AKG (although I'm not very good at fighting uphill...). The main reason for my posting was more to make others aware before coming a cropper and having to pick up broadswords, though. Given the choice of a good, reliable item and one which I know to not be repairable, I'd go for the former. Had I known that AKG couldn't repair their stuff, I may have gone either further up-market or cheapskate-disposable. Thanks for the tip, though; I think you're right about consumer protection, and I did, in fact, win a case many years ago, but it's a hassle I'd have preferred to avoid. My next purchase is unlikely to be AKG, though, in any case. Shame; it was a very good mic. :unsure:

Update...

We've received an offer of an exchange for new (420 model...), for €160 all in. We'll think it over in the next couple of days; We'd have had a bill anyway for repair, plus postage there and back, so not such a bad deal, maybe. The doubt subsits, of course; will a new one last more than a bit past guarantee..? If it does fail, can it be repaired, or is it disposable..? I'll be back...