Why become a member? ×

Reggae 16s

JapanAxe

I have been trying to nail this song, based on a transcription I did a while back. The one bit that is bothering me is the 'feel' of the 16s played over the Gm in the verses, e.g.:

They are kind of swung, not straight, but imparting 'swing' at this rate is not easy. I managed some improvement by playing the above in 6th and 5th positions, as this gave me more time to set up for the 16s without feeling rushed.

My question is: Does anyone have a helpful way to 'conceptualise' the reggae 16s feel, or a physical approach that will assist in reproducing that feel?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1400162286' post='2451342']
What sort of tempo are you playing it at?
[/quote]

Same as the record: I Shot the Sheriff. Just realised the title is not in the post, just the tags. D'oh!

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1400171311' post='2451448']
I think you have to feel it with reggae,and the end section has that Dawn penn' no no no' feel to me ,which whether played straight or with a triplet feel is a great way to 'get it' ...hope that made some sorta sense :)
[/quote]

Err... No. Sorry. I can hear what's going on but I have trouble making it come out of my fingers.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1400177771' post='2451551']

Same as the record: I Shot the Sheriff. Just realised the title is not in the post, just the tags. D'oh!

Err... No. Sorry. I can hear what's going on but I have trouble making it come out of my fingers.
[/quote]

Ah, yes, I should have recognised it - it's that bit in the bridge.
Aston FM is great at this pulsing feel, and it's really difficult to put into words. It's a kind of slightly-behind-the-beat throbbing. Try to delay each note ever so slightly.

A couple of other examples to practice to are 'Old Marcus Garvey' by Burning Spear, and 'Natural Mystic' by Bob M
Interestingly, it's the studio versions of these songs that really nails this feel - the live versions always seem more 'straight'

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1400182804' post='2451638']
Ah, yes, I should have recognised it - it's that bit in the bridge.
Aston FM is great at this pulsing feel, and it's really difficult to put into words. It's a kind of slightly-behind-the-beat throbbing. Try to delay each note ever so slightly.

A couple of other examples to practice to are 'Old Marcus Garvey' by Burning Spear, and 'Natural Mystic' by Bob M
Interestingly, it's the studio versions of these songs that really nails this feel - the live versions always seem more 'straight'
[/quote]

Thanks Roland, I have both those tracks. Had a quick listen to 'Old Marcus Garvey' (and the dub version 'Farther East of Jack' from [i]Garvey's Ghost[/i], with bass more prominent in the mix), and I can hear what you mean. Back in the dub shed for me!