Why become a member? ×

Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick bass lesson Part1

All thumbs

Nice one Scott, will sit down and try that as love the song but many of the on-line stuff hasn`t always looked quite right to me. Just looking at your clip seems to make a lot more sense, looking forward to a few hours (or is that days/weeks/years) practice on it.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1418308748' post='2629014']
That's just made me decide to pack it all in. There I was quite happy playing root, 5th, 7th and now I see this knowing I'll never have the time (or ability) to get anywhere near it :(
[/quote]

I hope you joking! :-)

Just in case you're not....

...I've felt like that a LOT when I watch some of the players there are out there on YouTube etc. BUT I've come to accept (and enjoy) that we all have different aptitudes (keeping it bass related) for different aspects of playing and that's what makes us all different. All the time I hear other bassists and think, "I couldn't do that - ever", but I'll have a go, even if I get nowhere near! My understanding of jazz harmony for example is no-where near where I'd like it to be, but on the on the other hand I've seen one of the most accomplished jazz bassists in the country struggle to play 'That's Alright Mama' where I know I'd have nailed it!

Honestly - keep doing and ENJOYING what you're doing! Try and stretch yourself by all means, but never give up - it's all about having fun. Some of the best bass playing, and music in general, is technically unbelievably simple - but it is steeped in emotion and conviction, that's where it's at!

Edited by All thumbs

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1400189765' post='2451760']
looking forward to a few hours (or is that days/weeks/years) practice on it.
[/quote]

:D[size=4] Could well be any of the above.[/size]

[size=4]​It's a great song and a very [/size]challenging bass line. With me, it's a kind of on going project where I come back to it frequently. I play it slowly and build up the tempo. I can get tantalizingly close to getting it clean and flowing smoothly, but find it hard to sustain this for the entire song.

Someday..... :blush:

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='All thumbs' timestamp='1418311485' post='2629055']
I hope you joking! :-)

Just in case you're not....

...I've felt like that a LOT when I watch some of the players there are out there on YouTube etc. BUT I've come to accept (and enjoy) that we all have different aptitudes (keeping it bass related) for different aspects of playing and that's what makes us all different. All the time I hear other bassists and think, "I couldn't do that - ever", but I'll have a go, even if I get nowhere near! My understanding of jazz harmony for example is no-where near where I'd like it to be, but on the on the other hand I've seen one of the most accomplished jazz bassists in the country struggle to play 'That's Alright Mama' where I know I'd have nailed it!

Honestly - keep doing and ENJOYING what you're doing! Try and stretch yourself by all means, but never give up - it's all about having fun. Some of the best bass playing, and music in general, is technically unbelievably simple - but it is steeped in emotion and conviction, that's where it's at!
[/quote]

Good post !!

@6feet7 : The only way you will get close to nailing it is by giving it your best shot.....regularly. ;)[size=4] [/size][size=4]See my post above. I have being coming back to it on a regular basis for quite a while now. I'm not there yet by any means, but I'm enjoying the challenge. [/size]

[size=4]Try it with a metronome at a comfortable tempo. As you progress, up the tempo by about five or ten BPM's. This combined with a bit of time and patience thrown in, and you should see progress. [/size]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1418478253' post='2630507']

​It's a great song and a very challenging bass line. With me, it's a kind of on going project where I come back to it frequently. I play it slowly and build up the tempo. I can get tantalizingly close to getting it clean and flowing smoothly, but find it hard to sustain this for the entire song.

Someday..... :blush:
[/quote]

Practice your 16th note grooves, that will build up your right hand dexterity