Why become a member? ×

Strings for a more Punk/New Wave sound ?

ChrisF

Hi all

sorry for yet another string thread. I did search the forums, but cant seem to find the info that I'm after.

The band I play with was predominantly rockabilly/blues etc...... but after a bit of a personnel shuffle.... we have moved to a more punk/new wave sound...... Ramones...Clash... Dr Feelgood etc.

So I switched back to my guitar a few weeks back and have been using that for our practices.... but I really dont enjoy playing bass guitar. I much prefer to play the DB.... I find it much, much easier to play for a start, mainly because I seem to have a bunch of bananas instead of fingers :( And I just prefer the feel of it..plus its a lot easier on my back/hip for some reason....and its way cooler.....obviously B)

Anyway..... I have been playing the punk bass lines on the DB at home, and its definitely doable. The only problem is the sound.

I never thought [i]I[/i] would say this, but I want a [i]bit[/i] more of an "electric" sound..if that makes sense.

Am I right to assume that the psycho boys use steel strings ?? .....in which case it would still be possible to slap them if I wanted to.

So...is it steel strings that I need ? ..and what about a pickup ? ...am I right in thinking that I would need a "mag" pickup ??

as ever ...thanks in advance for any replies

As musicians i think we have to choose the right tool for the job and it doesn't sound like double bass is right in this context. Maybe a nice wide strap for a bass guitar if you get lower back pains and find a good height. Wearing the bass higher is usually better then lower i've found.

Otherwise i can't really recommend anything. Im a tad of a purist so don't like mag pickups. If you wanted something closer to that sound but easier to play than double bass in this context maybe a precision style fretless bass played over the neck would do. And you could probably get one for the price of a set of strings and mag pickup.

I am only a real newbie to this as I have only been playing a year, but I also enjoy playing this sort of stuff at home and occasionally play rock on the DB with my regular band (where I would usually play bass guitar). I play an EUB with piezo pickup and I used to use the Innovation Honey strings which did give me the more "electric" sound but I swapped to the cheap Superior Bassworks Nylon strings off ebay and the lower tension slightly rattles on the fingerboard. It is annoying when playing unplugged, but when plugged in the rattle actually creates a very mild distortion though amp when I play in a fast psychobilly way (although I don't do slapping) that sounds really good to my ear. I use it a lot for playing along with Johnny Thunders, Dr Feelgood, The Meteors, The Blasters etc

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1400232509' post='2452027']
As musicians i think we have to choose the right tool for the job and it doesn't sound like double bass is right in this context. Maybe a nice wide strap for a bass guitar if you get lower back pains and find a good height. Wearing the bass higher is usually better then lower i've found.
[/quote]

tried the higher position..and it has a wide strap.. but no luck.... cheers anyway.

[quote name='randythoades' timestamp='1400237164' post='2452105']
I am only a real newbie to this as I have only been playing a year, but I also enjoy playing this sort of stuff at home and occasionally play rock on the DB with my regular band (where I would usually play bass guitar). I play an EUB with piezo pickup and I used to use the Innovation Honey strings which did give me the more "electric" sound but I swapped to the cheap Superior Bassworks Nylon strings off ebay and the lower tension slightly rattles on the fingerboard. It is annoying when playing unplugged, but when plugged in the rattle actually creates a very mild distortion though amp when I play in a fast psychobilly way (although I don't do slapping) that sounds really good to my ear. I use it a lot for playing along with Johnny Thunders, Dr Feelgood, The Meteors, The Blasters etc
[/quote]

Some great bands there......... I might actually be better off with an EUB (never thought I would say that lol) ....much easier to carry.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1400245673' post='2452234']
I would have thought steel strings and a mag pup would help you get closer to the tone you're after.
[/quote]

Yup... me too.

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1400249112' post='2452280']
How about using a valve pedal with the strings you've got? Grunge on tap. :)
[/quote]

Interesting idea... had a quick look on ebay..and they seem pretty reasonably priced.

You wouldn't necessarily need a mag pickup just cos you had steels, a piezo would still do fine and you could probably dial in the tone you're after with a decent eq on amp or preamp. Maybe try a lower tension steel string like the Jargar dolces (I say lower tension, they still tear my fingers to shreds) if you want to try steels but also to slap plenty as well?

[quote name='AndyBass' timestamp='1400252433' post='2452329']
You wouldn't necessarily need a mag pickup just cos you had steels, a piezo would still do fine and you could probably dial in the tone you're after with a decent eq on amp or preamp. Maybe try a lower tension steel string like the Jargar dolces (I say lower tension, they still tear my fingers to shreds) if you want to try steels but also to slap plenty as well?
[/quote]

Ive got a Fishman pro-eq platinum pre amp....and I have been playing around with the various settings on that. Is that what you mean ??. Also, if I did get a pedal (I have seen/heard a couple I like) ..can it be used along with the pre amp??

Yeah the EQ on the Fishman should give you enough range of sound to get you near to what (I think) you want. You can use a pedal with the preamp, the only issue with that as far as im aware is people tend to think the more links in the signal chain, pedals, tuners etc, the more it depletes the natural sound. But that's more the objective than a problem here! A dirt cheap EUB would do the job too though, my Stagg sounds more like a BG but is nicer to play for being upright.

[quote name='AndyBass' timestamp='1400266938' post='2452512']
Yeah the EQ on the Fishman should give you enough range of sound to get you near to what (I think) you want. You can use a pedal with the preamp, the only issue with that as far as im aware is people tend to think the more links in the signal chain, pedals, tuners etc, the more it depletes the natural sound. But that's more the objective than a problem here! A dirt cheap EUB would do the job too though, my Stagg sounds more like a BG but is nicer to play for being upright.
[/quote]

I was looking at EUBs on line yesterday..... I really like the KK Baby Bass, but I dont much like the price. It will have to wait until I win the lottery.

I also looked at steel strings..and even they were a bit out of my price range at the moment. But I found some in my cupboard that I had never even taken out of the packet. They are D'addario so not expensive..... but I put them on today and they get me closer to the sound Im after. I also messed around with the settings on my pre-amp... and that has helped too.

So that will have to do until I can afford an EUB

• 3 weeks later...

Well... I suppose the moral of this story is "If it aint broke, dont fix it" :rolleyes:

After giving the steel strings a go for a couple of weeks... Ive taken them off and put the Innovation Rockabillys back on.

I just couldnt get on with the steels.

[quote name='invicta59' timestamp='1402322154' post='2472087']
I'd just turn the 'clicky' right down and the volume up :)
[/quote]

lol.....Both my pick-ups go through the same jack outlet... so that isnt an option, but I do have some rubber matting under the fingerboard pick-up to deaden it a bit.

Interested to see what sound you do end up with
and how happy you are with that

I'm an old punk rocker myself and still love the music
However, when I play DB, I don't try to replicate that sort of sound exactly
i prefer to see what I can bring to those sort of songs - but with a DB

I've used Innovation Silver Slaps on my last DB
Which gave a darker sound, and could also sound a bit more "snappy" when playing more quickly
The lower tension meant I could play a bit faster (I don't really slap, like the Psycho guys do)

I've got a Stagg EUB, which definitely sounds more "electric"
and I would have thought it should be easier to get more of a bass guitar sound with that
Possibly by adding an extra pickup
(There is a thread somewhere on here, on adding a clicky - but should apply to adding any additional pickups)

DeeDee Ramone got his sound by playing downstroke only
as did Ramones guitarist Johnny
I'm not sure that there's quite a way of replicating this on a DB
and would be damned hard work anyway

I played in a Ramones trib for a while, and doing it on BG
for every song, with few breaks was probably the hardest thing I ever did!
It caused tendonitis in my right hand, and especially in my right thumb

As I said, I''m interested to hear how you get on with this
and please don't appologise - the world of pickups and string combinations on DB
is far more intricate than it is for bass guitar..... as I'm discovering

Cheers and good luck
Marc

Hey Ho ;)

Edited by Marc S

Cheers Marc.

We are doing stuff like Ramones.... Buzzcocks ..... Clash..... Undertones and Dr Feelgood etc etc. The others were happy with the sound of my bass as it was, it was my idea to go for a more bass guitar sound. But the other day the guitarist said he preferred the sound with the Innovation strings....... and I agree..so thats what Ive gone back to.

For example... on Blitzkrieg Bop, I play half the notes of the original...and it gives it much more punch...and what we are hoping is our "signature sound" ....... We used to do Brand New Cadillac very much in the original rockabilly style.... but since going for a more Clash style...it sounds so much better.

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1402395027' post='2472912']
Valvey dirt. Absolute necessity. Honest. :D
[/quote]

lol.... I hear ya my friend :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]​but at the moment even a cheap pedal is out of my price range. You know all those people you read about in the papers ? ..... the ones on [/size]benefits that are living the life of Riley ??[size=4] ...well that aint us......the [/size]government[size=4], in its [/size]infinite wisdom... gives us £15 a week...... generous huh !?!?! :angry:

..but a pedal is on my wish list for when I get some "disposable income" :ph34r:[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size]

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1402329154' post='2472254']
Cheers Marc.

We are doing stuff like Ramones.... Buzzcocks ..... Clash..... Undertones and Dr Feelgood etc etc. The others were happy with the sound of my bass as it was, it was my idea to go for a more bass guitar sound. But the other day the guitarist said he preferred the sound with the Innovation strings....... and I agree..so thats what Ive gone back to.

For example... on Blitzkrieg Bop, I play half the notes of the original...and it gives it much more punch...and what we are hoping is our "signature sound" ....... We used to do Brand New Cadillac very much in the original rockabilly style.... but since going for a more Clash style...it sounds so much better.
[/quote]

Sounds brilliant Chris!
Wish you were a bit closer to me - so I could come & see you guys play :)
You've mentioned 5 of my all-time fave bands there....

Re playing half the notes - it's what you have to do, as dictated by the instrument of course
I can fully understand why your guitarist likes the sound - because it goes with the instrument you are playing...
and you're putting your own interpretation into your version of the songs

Sounds fine to me :)

Mind you, it must be hard to pogo with a double bass :o

Cheers again
Marc

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1402475910' post='2473814']
Sounds brilliant Chris!
Wish you were a bit closer to me - so I could come & see you guys play :)

Mind you, it must be hard to pogo with a double bass :o

Cheers again
Marc
[/quote]

lol ,,,, be careful what you wish for Marc ;)[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4]Its funny...when we were more of a straight rockabilly band, the guitarist/singer had absolutely no interest in doing a gig at all....he just point blank refused. But since the line-up shuffle..and the move to a much more punk sound...... he is talking about doing a gig all the time....strange.[/size]

Its also strange that we have gone this way [i]after[/i] my mate "Auntie", left the band and moved to Ireland.......as he was the punkest one out of us all..... you may have heard of him....he was the co-founder of The Sinyx..before moving on to Sonic Violence...... but he seemed to just want to play rockabilly and Rhythm & Blues now...... he is even talking about getting a DB when he is settled in Ireland. :o[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size]
cheers.............. Chris

It's always worth persevering with your current set-up. I would try rolling off some of the bass frequencies on the platinum pro and cranking up the volume.

I play a couple of fast punk songs with the band (on upright), but have adapted these to a fast walking pattern. I use steel strings through a piezo, but it still sounds like a double bass. The punters don't really worry about the sound of the bass. If you're holding a double bass it's the visual aspect which they notice, rather than the sound :)

Keep on playing

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1402844634' post='2477180']
It's always worth persevering with your current set-up. I would try rolling off some of the bass frequencies on the platinum pro and cranking up the volume.

I play a couple of fast punk songs with the band (on upright), but have adapted these to a fast walking pattern. I use steel strings through a piezo, but it still sounds like a double bass. The punters don't really worry about the sound of the bass. If you're holding a double bass it's the visual aspect which they notice, rather than the sound :)

Keep on playing
[/quote]

Yup.... Im still playing around with the platinum settings ....I will give your suggestion a try ....cheers B)[size=4] [/size]