Why become a member? ×

Compression

martinbass7750

[quote name='fleamail' post='12304' date='Jun 5 2007, 08:55 AM']But I never record with pedal compressors because there are those studio comps that are much better![/quote]

I'd only record with a compulator assuming that there wasn't a better studio rack comp.

I use a 3060 in my rack and have done for years (before that I had a Audio Logic comp which was great but it broke!). It keeps my level under control, add sustain to longer notes, it does reduce dynamic range a bit but the gains in punch and overall control keeps me and the drummer sounding even tighter. That tends to be my focus - workng with the drummer and putting a bottom end in for the rest of the band to do their thing. If I wanted to be guitarist, I'd join a band doing that!
Compression will reduce bottom as thats where most of the energy that affects the threshold level when setting a compressor up. You can put some back by setting the comp pre eq.
In the studio I use a TC electronic powercore modelled 1176.
When I can afford one, want a DHA valve comp/pre thingy!
max

I don't need a compressor live when there's a tube in the signal chain. All of the compressors I've used sound too heavy handed otherwise. I do like to use a limiter at the end of my signal chain to even out the dynamics when I'm using the Deep Impact.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='15560' date='Jun 11 2007, 01:18 PM']I don't need a compressor live when there's a tube in the signal chain. All of the compressors I've used sound too heavy handed otherwise. I do like to use a limiter at the end of my signal chain to even out the dynamics when I'm using the Deep Impact.[/quote]

Steve,

VT1-Compressor (prototype) is in the post. Be kind, please :)

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='17484' date='Jun 14 2007, 11:31 AM']Steve,

VT1-Compressor (prototype) is in the post. Be kind, please :)

Dave[/quote]

OH my Dave! the li'l fella is out in the players domain then? This pedal I have to try! ;o)

CK.. if no one else is in the queue, please may I be next?

[quote name='dood' post='18934' date='Jun 16 2007, 09:32 PM']OH my Dave! the li'l fella is out in the players domain then? This pedal I have to try! ;o)

CK.. if no one else is in the queue, please may I be next?[/quote]

Hi Dood,

Steve has made some very useful comments and I will be making a couple of design changes before it goes out again, but as soon as I am happy then your are on the list.

The comments Steve has made are great and to do with things like the output level and the brightness of the tone both of which are easy to fix. Steve will agree with this I hope but the compression side of things appears to working and provides a vintage valve compression effect.

If the modified design fits the bill then I will design a new PCB as this will reduce the build price, I am hoping for around £125.

Dave

Edited by DHA

[quote name='The Funk' post='19492' date='Jun 18 2007, 10:18 AM']£125 for a valve compressor? :) Bagsy me after Dood?[/quote]

I am away this week on business in Germany but when I get back I will modify it, post it back to CK and then I am happy for it to do a quick tour. rules will be that anyone on the list can play with it for say a week then post it onto the next guy or girl.

regards

Dave

So to summarise, we have three different reasons why people use compressors:

1) As an effect in it's own right
2) At the end of the signal chain, in order to protect the head from moments of ham-fistedness ;-)
3) To smooth out the lows and highs in the dynamic range.

Yes?

I have a Tech 21 Compactor which I tend to use in the 3rd category. Currently it's at the
start of my signal chain, after the tuner and before octaver and chorus. Is this the right
place for it, or should I stick it at the end of the signal chain?

I also find that when I'm using a valve head the effect of compression is a lot less
noticeable/useful than when I was using a borrowed transister head. Hm.

[quote name='pete.young' post='20053' date='Jun 19 2007, 10:03 AM']So to summarise, we have three different reasons why people use compressors:

1) As an effect in it's own right
2) At the end of the signal chain, in order to protect the head from moments of ham-fistedness ;-)
3) To smooth out the lows and highs in the dynamic range.

Yes?

I have a Tech 21 Compactor which I tend to use in the 3rd category. Currently it's at the
start of my signal chain, after the tuner and before octaver and chorus. Is this the right
place for it, or should I stick it at the end of the signal chain?

I also find that when I'm using a valve head the effect of compression is a lot less
noticeable/useful than when I was using a borrowed transister head. Hm.[/quote]

I think at the end of the day you can put the compressor anywhere in the chain, but I think (IMHO) that the position you have it in is the best with the pedals you have and what you want the comp to do. I do the same. Compression before any EQ/effects etc but after any filters/autowah etc.
I have been switching back and forth between tube and SS quite a lot recently and have found that with valves I really have to wind the compression back or it starts to sound a bit too choked.. but when I switch back to SS, the compressor doesnt sound like it is doing much.I do notice that if I run my valve preamp hard I can notice the valves compressing to the point of not having to worry about a compressor at all! freaky! but.. the downside is if I push it a little too far, I get a bit of nasty distortion in the bottom end.
So, in short I agree that with valves (which are compressing already) don't seem to benefit from light compression, as it isnt really noticeable.. but heavy compression sounds a bit grim too.

[quote name='DHA' post='19055' date='Jun 17 2007, 08:44 AM']Hi Dood,

Steve has made some very useful comments and I will be making a couple of design changes before it goes out again, but as soon as I am happy then your are on the list.

The comments Steve has made are great and to do with things like the output level and the brightness of the tone both of which are easy to fix. Steve will agree with this I hope but the compression side of things appears to working and provides a vintage valve compression effect.

If the modified design fits the bill then I will design a new PCB as this will reduce the build price, I am hoping for around £125.

Dave[/quote]

Thank you so much! I look forward to giving the li'l fella a jolly good workout with 'Doodle'!