Why become a member? ×

Sean's Squier JV Precision

Billy Apple

Just edited the topic title from NBD to an on-going concern :)

I never would've thought I'd buy another P in standard livery, but having tried out Clarkys JVP over at Happy Jacks I was hooked! I loved the neck, the weight and the tone when attacked with a pick.

So, I've bought one of my own which arrived the other day. It came with quite a bit of mojo, so with telephone advice from the Doc I set about pulling it apart, cleaning and rebuilding.

As far as I can tell the bass is 100% original, although the front strap button was pulling out and has been bodged by stuffing wood in to get a bite and the screw seems to be a smaller diameter than the back button.

The pots and pups are unmolested, and there is a brass plate underneath the pups which is identical to the one on my Matsumoko Westone T1A.

The tuners had plenty of thumb-smeg, so I set about them with a toothbrush and solvol. I did the same with the bridge and was pleased the intonation was pretty much bang on when it all went back together.

Before and after..

The clear-coat had slight bloom which Howard advised to rub out with metal polish, and it all came up sparkly, plus cleaned up the frets, nut and neck.

I've strung her with a set of La Bellas, and a quarter turn on the heel mounted truss rod was enough to set the relief first time.

So without further a-do I'd like to present my de-reliced '83 Squier JV P :)

Edited by Billy Apple

• 1 month later...

This bass has been around the house for a while and is easily becoming my fave P bass ever. I'm on the road to sorting a few niggles out and to give it a few tasteful mods. My La Cab P has taken a bit of a back seat, and I've just got over the psychological hurdle of breaking it down to start again.

I can't live with the fat Warmoth neck, so the very lovely Gotoh Resolite GBR 640's have come off and are now living on the Squier. The has brought the weight down from 8.4lbs to 7.8lbs, that and they are vastly superior to the originals. They fit perfectly on the factory screw holes

I spent my evening reversing the 640's from L/H to right as the La Cab has a reversed head-stock. it all went swimmingly :)

I've just picked up a Seymour Duncan SPB3 Quarter Pounder, so that's going in with all up-rated gubbins. The hum from this around lights was shocking, so all will be shielded.

To top it off I've just ordered a Spitfire guard in crazy '70's vintage burgundium with a light relic.

She's off to Mr Mullan the morra for the work, while I f*** about with my modded 4001 he's done in the mean-time.

All work will be done and items stored to ensure the bass can be put back to 100% original as Mr Flender intended.

Aint life grand!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1403912159' post='2487770']
To top it off I've just ordered a Spitfire guard in crazy '70's vintage burgundium with a light relic.
Aint life grand!
[/quote]

Glad you're enjoying your JV, young man - it looks the business. I've ordered a Spitfire guard too - when's yours due?
I'd be very interested to know what you think of that - we'll need comparison pics, too. I found a comparison pic between a modern Fender 'vintage' brown tort guard and a Spitfire guard - quite a difference...

Edited by discreet

When I last saw my Black JV P it had all gold hardware (Schaller), as well as a SD 1/4 pounder and a mirror scratch plate (which I actually still have).
I suppose I should not have messed around with it but back then it was my gigging bass and I felt it needed, or at least I wanted, those upgrades.
Nice to see some untouched basses floating around still.

• 3 months later...

After a bit of a wait I've got this back, but it's been worth the wait. All up-rated with a Quarter Pounder picked up on the forum, shielded cavities, new CTS pots, Switchcraft jack and orange cap, plus Gotoh GBR640 light weight tuners. The saddles were slammed right down with grubs sticking up, so the neck has been shimmed and now the saddles are perfect with no hand shredding grubs and a nice low action.

All the original bits have been removed and stored should I ever want to put it back stock. The shielding has made a massive difference, passing the kitchen light dimmer test.

I've been banging away on this all afternoon and it sounds and plays bloody luvverly :)

[size=4]Very happy indeed :D[/size]

[size=4][/size]

[size=4][/size]

[size=4][/size]

[size=4][/size]

Edited by Billy Apple