Why become a member? ×

Bassist's Anonymous

essexbasscat

For those of us that suffer with GAS, problems with other band members or promoters, there's now Bassist's Anonymous.
Does your family suffer from your musical habit ? causing rows at home ? drinking excessively at gigs ? Share your story here and gain strength from the sharing :)

Hi there everyone

My name is Essexbasscat. I've had a problem with collecting music gear for some time, but never had the chance (or the nerve) to admit to it before. I'm trying to avoid buying more amps, speakers, basses and PA gear, but sometimes slip and before I know it, I've Pm'd again.

It's a complusion I've noticed for a few years now and doesn't appear to be entirely related to BC alone. I'm trying to resist temptation, but it's hard....

Trying to cut down on the basses and get my home back

Thank you for listening

Edited by essexbasscat

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I'm Pinball, I used to suffer terribly from GAS much to the dismay of my other half. Luckily I'm cured now...[/font][/size]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#3e454c]I do need one more bass though. I have four but one is at work, one is in for repair, one is always 1 string short of the 5 I need. That means that effectively I only have one and I need a spare right? [/color][/font]

Edited by Pinball

Hello, everybody.

My name's Fionn, and I'm a bassaholic. I'm prone to temptation, but I've not bought a bass for over year. I had a relapse last week however, and bought a new pedal ... please don't judge me too harshly.

Hi, my name's Chris and I'm a gear-aholic. ("Hello Chris," chant the other assembled members of the meeting.) I'm addicted to bass gear and guitar gear. Just when I kick the GAS habit from one instrument, the other raises its ugly head. Currently I'm in the the thrall of P90 equipped Telecasters (again); there is no hope for me :( the only stepped program I understand are the steps from my car to the door of a musical instrument emporium.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1400545686' post='2454905']
Hello, my name is Mornats and Pinball is a bad influence on me. We play in a band together and he's always sending me links to basses for sale.
[/quote]

That's because I want you to buy them so that I can try them out. You know you need them!

I should add that I played a little game when I joined my other band (The Angry badgers). At the time I switched from 4 to 5 strings and had 4 basses (5 on occasions due to ongoing trades) and managed to take a different bass to practice every week for 7 weeks in a row. I was disappointing when I eventually had to use one of the basses a 2nd time. < sad bastard

Edited by Pinball

My name is Chris, and I have an unhealthy fascination with Peavey.

Worst of all, my girlfriend doesn't seem to have too much of a problem with me owning 6 basses, which makes me wonder how many I can fill our small bungalow with until it causes a problem :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

My name is Hobbayne and I have an unhealthy fascination for Fender Precisions :( I saw a lovely 78 model in the window of Wunjos yesterday and I,m sorry to say I went inside.
However, I am happy to say I overcame temptation and came out with a Zoom effects pedal instead. :)

Edited by Hobbayne

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm gadgie. GAS is a problem with me. I have only been 'playing' bass for 2 weeks, yet I have already committed to buying two items from forum users. Lucky enough I really need those two items so they are not a waste of money......not until I've had them for a week or so and then they will be forgotten about and laid aside with the other bits and bobs that I couldn't live without.
So far I have managed to not commit to large items such as fancy amps and basses that will take up a lot of room.
GAS = Gadgie Acquiring Stuff

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1402316760' post='2471989']
Hi, I'm gadgie. GAS is a problem with me. I have only been 'playing' bass for 2 weeks, yet I have already committed to buying two items from forum users. Lucky enough I really need those two items so they are not a waste of money......not until I've had them for a week or so and then they will be forgotten about and laid aside with the other bits and bobs that I couldn't live without.
So far I have managed to not commit to large items such as fancy amps and basses that will take up a lot of room.
GAS = Gadgie Acquiring Stuff
[/quote]

AAh do you want to buy anything else? What you needing?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Sam and have taken to hiding basses at work so that STMBO doesn't know I've bought another. I also have an amp there so I can play when everyone else has gone home.

I am worried what's going to happen when I retire and have to clear out the warehouse at work and bring everything home. It might mean moving to a bigger house.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1404863252' post='2496576']
Hi, I'm Sam and have taken to hiding basses at work so that STMBO doesn't know I've bought another. I also have an amp there so I can play when everyone else has gone home.

I am worried what's going to happen when I retire and have to clear out the warehouse at work and bring everything home. It might mean moving to a bigger house.
[/quote]

:lol:

Guitarist in my band used to store his guitars and amps at work. Then took redundancy and had to sell off TONS :o of gear

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my names Stephen and after quite a few years of heavy bass use I have now controlled the habit and own only two and one of those is a Uke bass which I tell myself doesn't count. I have however started getting a habit in studio gear which has developed into a worse problem than I had in the first place, I am now on a couple of guitars, various rack effects, monitors, microphones, amps, cabs. keyboards and I spend most my days dreaming of which bit of gear I need next. The wife doesn't appreciate this habit and I spend most of my time in a room until the early hours playing with it all. I spend hours scouring the internet looking for things I 'NEED' I need help, I am a gearaholic ;)

Edited by Stephen Houghton

My name is Lee4,and I am battling my ongoing addiction to browsing the 'net for crap basses that I am in no position to buy.
My wife has only recently come to terms with the fact that I cannot tell the difference between a '58 and a '62 Precision,and I believe that if she suspects that I have been looking at online cheapo no-name 4 bangers she will divorce me.
If my wife is to be believed,we need to spend money on "food" and "bills".
I have no knowledge of these things and I know think that she herself is deluded.

My name's Jack and I live at the back of the Greta Garbo Home For Wayward Boys And Girls where I accumulate endless quantities of basses, amps & cabs, and associated equipment. Especially XLR leads.

I don't see this as a problem. There is a place in modern society for obsessive behaviour.

• 4 weeks later...