Why become a member? ×

Harmonics for Bass by Scott Whitley - Lesson 1 False/Artificial Harmonics

All thumbs

Just finished this first free video lesson on Bass Harmonics (yes I'm getting very busy with this new camcorder lol)!

This first lesson looks at false/artificial harmonics, breaking it down into really easy to digest chunks.

Hope it helps :-)

Scott.

http://youtu.be/xdWNe-iqPaE

• 2 months later...

Hi Scott, thanks for posting this. Unfortunately I'm getting "an error occurred" when I press play.

ps - any tips for avoiding sympathetic harmonics when slapping? I'm using the bony part of my thumb, I'm whipping it off after the slap and I'm attacking at the edge of the fretboard, but still getting an infuriating "HOOO".

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1407840413' post='2524469']
Hi Scott, thanks for posting this. Unfortunately I'm getting "an error occurred" when I press play.

ps - any tips for avoiding sympathetic harmonics when slapping? I'm using the bony part of my thumb, I'm whipping it off after the slap and I'm attacking at the edge of the fretboard, but still getting an infuriating "HOOO".
[/quote]

When you slap do you have your fretting hand covering a place where harmonic occur ? E.G 5th, 7th frets.
I used to do this a lot and thought I wasn't built for slapping but then I noticed my hand would be covering the harmonic place when I was muting the string. To get rid of this all I did was shift my hands ever so slightly and bam, my slap sound didn't have that humming underneath!

It happens even when I slap an open string. What seems to be happening is, the heel of my slapping hand is touching the string just in front of the pickup, about halfway along the string between the end of the fretboard and the bridge. I sat down and tried to correct it last night but I'm struggling.

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1408046598' post='2526659']
It happens even when I slap an open string. What seems to be happening is, the heel of my slapping hand is touching the string just in front of the pickup, about halfway along the string between the end of the fretboard and the bridge. I sat down and tried to correct it last night but I'm struggling.
[/quote]

It maybe that your thumb isn't quick enough to pull off when you thump on the string. Even a slight touch when you have slapped the string could cause a harmonic. Does it happen with a fretted note ?

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1408192840' post='2527981']

It maybe that your thumb isn't quick enough to pull off when you thump on the string. Even a slight touch when you have slapped the string could cause a harmonic. Does it happen with a fretted note ?
[/quote]

Yes, not every time but fairly frequently. It's definitely a technique problem.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1407840413' post='2524469']

[/quote]

Hi - sorry for the slow response!! Did you manage to get the video to play in the end?

Re the sympathetic harmonics whilst slapping - this does happen especially on a 24 fret bass. Usually in the context of a bass line it's not a big issue. You can improve it sometimes by slapping slightly more 'on' the finger board.

Could you post a quick sound clip or send one (or a video) to [email protected] ?

Ta
Scott.

• 1 month later...

Scott, I'm so sorry - I forgot all about this thread and I hadn't hit the subscribe button, so I didn't get your reply until just now. I will do my best to send off a soundclip over the weekend, but my only recording tool is my mobile phone, so the quality will likely be poor. Thanks for replying though mate, and again, apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

Duncan