Why become a member? ×

Underwood pickup question

AndyBass

I recently bought an Underwood to try instead of my K&K rockabilly (the Bassmax/clicky combo). It sounds, well, okay, I've got a pretty unrefined ear so to me the difference isn't that great but the main thing is I get quite a lot of scratchy "fingers moving over strings" noise from the Underwood. Is that a common problem for anyone else?

Currently I'm using it through the preamp from the K&K system. I've EQd the heck out of it through my amp (Genz Benz STL3.0) but even with all the trebles cut I'm still getting it.

I know that everyone tends to use Underwoods coupled with a Plat Pro - would this refine some of the noise better than the K&K? I confess I've not messed with the gain/treble/bass in the K&K preamp as its so damn fiddly, but it sounded okay on those settings with the Bassmax

Probably doesn't help that I have to shove some card into the bridge slot to get a decent fit (more under one end than the other as its an odd wedge shape ratrher than the flat Bassmax). But that should just affect the signal I think?

The eq you need to scoop to get rid of finger noise and quacks is not the high, it is the mid. Try to forget the preamp, plug in straight int the genz shuttle, keep low and high around 12 o'clock, mid down to 7-8 o'clock and the mid frequency dial turned to taste somewhere between 1-4 o'clock. That should give you a bassy sound. You can the add mids to taste if you want to cut through more. After that, adjust low and high to taste. Scooping mids will also help feedback.