Why become a member? ×

Guts ... Why did take me so long?

Just pulled the trigger on a set of guts from a fellow bass chatter . I do a reasonable amount of classical playing so I've always stuck to some form of steels or wound guts. . I'm lucky enough to have two basses so while my go to bass is strung with wound guts which bow and pizz great I thought I'd give the guts a try. I LOVE THESE strings. Only been on the bass two days so I have to tune frequently . I'm hoping they'll stretch in time. The low tension is so appealing. I can get round the bass so much easier. The tone is full Fat ... None of your semi skimmed stuff here. I hope this translates well in a gig.
Thought I'd share my initial enthusiasm.

Edited by marvin spangles

Gig tonight with a 4 piece all original stuff. This only my second gig with this singer so couldnt afford to use her as a string experiment. Didn't have the courage to use the gut strung bass. I'd prefer a straight ahead jazz gig first to see how they blend.
Just in the door but I'm thinking about practicing tomorrow. These strings are addictive.

I'm on the way to plain gut from wrapped. I had all spiros, then oliv G, then oliv D as well, then I bought a gamut lyon G. I find it superior to the Oliv G in terms of flexibility, tuning and tone. With the bow it responds well, though it requires a slightly different approach from the Oliv D, which is awaiting the arrival of gamut D to replace it. I just bought Evah Pirazzi Weich E and A to replace the spiros and I'm now wondering why I put up with such high tension for so long.

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1401020803' post='2459171']
You're doomed Geoff, but fear not, apparently plain guts can last decades...
[/quote]

That's interesting :) I think one concern I would have is how well they did on the gig. There are some strings which I like the acoustic pizz sound of like Belcanto, but for me don't cut it on a gig.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about how everyone gets on with them.

I guess it depends what you want out of them. I like a little bit of a fight in my action at the moment, but the spirocores were just killing me at the current height (10-12mm) but the gamut G feels very happy at 10mm (bearing in mind this is with Oliv D and Evah Weich A and E, the idea is to wait for the Gamut D and see how it goes with the Evahs but I think they will be an okay match). I am more or less a straight ahead jazz player, though I do like my strings to be bowable. If you were expecting your instrument to sound like an electric bass or to play modern orchestral music I think there would be performance issues. I don't think the gamut lyon (unvarnished) is drastically more difficult to bow than the Oliv, but it requires a lighter, faster approach, and is much much brighter than a year-old Oliv D but even with my modest arco skills I can play some coherent music without it sounding too mismatched.

Ok so update
The love affair continues. The pistoy was a bit thuddy compared to the Lyon e but it's starting to open up. The E copper wound is probably the weakest on this bass .
The tuning is stabilising. The feel and tone continue to inspire. Practicing some Parker Heads and trying to get some speed.
There is an addictive 'chiff' to the pizz. The arco for me is unusable. I can bow the strings ok but the tone on the G string wouldn't work for me in an ensemble. I'm fortunate enough to have another bass that can do that stuff. Still I can do stuff on this gut set up that was a 'fight' on steels.