Why become a member? ×

Anyone looking to sell an Oliv D string in vgc?

Clarky

I just popped an Oliv G back on my 3/4 bass and - stuff the tuning instability issues - it sounds and plays wonderfully. Think I want to match it with an Oliv D and - rather than shell out for a new one - wondered if any of the august BC double bass-playing community happens to have one in good condition (no breaks in windings, separation etc) they are looking to sell? If so, please drop me a PM

Thanks Peter but in this case I did have ADG Oliv on my 3/4 flatback bass a year or so back and loved the sound (even the A). I got fed up with having to re-tune all the time and sold them. Now this bass is just for home use (I gig my downsized Kolstein) I am happy to put up with the tuning instability :)

I'm putting mine out to pasture fairly soon (plain gut beckons- I have a gamut D on order) I wouldn't say it sounds dead though - it is a very dark string inherently. And yes it is a bit thuddy but the open D is one of the most glorious sounds in the world. You're more than welcome to try an old (ish) one before you buy a new one. I can let you know when my gamut arrives if you're interested in the Oliv.

Putting this search on hold for time being. I am going to try matching Evah Weich EAD with the Oliv G and see how I get on. I have tried Kolstein Heritage EAD but doesn't quite work and Spiros are too growly to match IMHO