Why become a member? ×

Mixing Challenge... THE RESULTS!

Skol303

[size=6]Voting has ended and congratulations to our winner and undisputed champion, [color=#800000][b]ironside1966![/b][/color][/size]

Also a hearty round of applause to joint runners-up, [color=#800000][b]Old_Ben[/b][/color] and [b][color=#800000]Thurbs[/color][/b]. Great work guys :)

A [size=5]BIG[/size] thanks to Chris (Roland Rock) of [url="https://www.facebook.com/pages/UJahm/202100879906376"]UJahm[/url] for offering up the mix stems for this one. A cracking track and very much appreciated mate.

I have something “in the bank” for the next one… but there’s still opportunity if anyone wants to put forward a track of their own for the mixing challenge. If so, drop me a message. Otherwise we’ll get the ball rolling again in a couple of weeks time…

Cheers! :drinks:

[size=5]MIX01 ironside1966
MIX02 Old_Ben
MIX03 Thurbs[/size]

[b][url="https://soundcloud.com/basschat-mix-challenge"]LISTEN TO THE MIXES HERE[/url][/b]

Edited by Skol303

Well, we've had a good number of people sign up so far and the promise of more to come. So we're off to a flying start on this one! :D

Some of you have enquired about the tempo of this track. Here's the reply from Chris (aka Rolan Rock on BC) from UJahm:

[i]"It should be a nice steady 65 [bpm], like a relaxed heartbeat :-) We didn't play to click though, so it may vary!"[/i]

So if it helps to know, then set your DAW software to around 65 or 130bpm.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Skol, really looking forward to hearing the mixes.

This link may be of interest to those who want to go into the crazy world of dub. Some of the techniques are somewhat eccentric...

http://www.interruptor.ch/dub_fx.shtml

Edited by Roland Rock

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1403956578' post='2488042']
Unfortunately I have got nowhere with this , and I don't think I will get a chance either , so for the first time in ages I am going to have to duck out on the mix challenge :( , good luck all .
[/quote]

That's a shame :-(
I didn't think that the song was THAT uninspirational ;-)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1403958807' post='2488075']
[/quote]

Good afternoon, Chris...

I think you're being overly hard on yourself here. :) I'm not 'in', this month, either, but for entirely technical reasons. I'll be putting up more details in the Compo Challenge topic, but my poor system is not up to the task, despite several attempts, and so I've had to bow to the inevitable and desist from entering. No, it's not the subject, which, quite the opposite, provided a real challenge to those unaccustomed to this genre. That's why we're here, in fact; to get to grips with stuff we're not normally exposed to..!
I'm eager to hear what the others come up with, and equally eager to be able to get a working, stable DAW platform up and running. Once that's done, I'll be running your stems through their paces, Challenge or no Challenge. Might be a while though..! :(

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1403960137' post='2488093']

Good afternoon, Chris...

I think you're being overly hard on yourself here. :) I'm not 'in', this month, either, but for entirely technical reasons. I'll be putting up more details in the Compo Challenge topic, but my poor system is not up to the task, despite several attempts, and so I've had to bow to the inevitable and desist from entering. No, it's not the subject, which, quite the opposite, provided a real challenge to those unaccustomed to this genre. That's why we're here, in fact; to get to grips with stuff we're not normally exposed to..!
I'm eager to hear what the others come up with, and equally eager to be able to get a working, stable DAW platform up and running. Once that's done, I'll be running your stems through their paces, Challenge or no Challenge. Might be a while though..! :(
[/quote]

Thanks Dad, yes I guess dub/reggae is a whole different kettle of fish in terms of production and, understandably, many won't have time to fully embrace the challenge. I'm excited to hear whatever entries are submitted though, as well as your mix once it's done :-)

[color=#b22222][size=5][b]Alright all! I'm extending the deadline for entries until Sunday 6th July.[/b][/size][/color]

The reason? I'm away in Scotland with work next week, so I won't get chance to upload the various entries until the following weekend when I return.

Normal service will resume shortly, etc... ;)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1403958807' post='2488075']
[/quote]
HaHa :lol:

I have had a really busy month , Stag weekends , clothes shopping ( still not finished) , family visits , wedding to attend , funeral aswell , so such a full on mix has escaped all efforts at quality mix time :(
The song is great , but there are a lot of parts and being fairly long, after a few listens through to get the feel, I am still struggling to make any headway and then I have run out of time :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok folks... the deadline has passed and so far we have only two entries! (in addition to my own).

I know that some of you regulars are very busy at the moment - that's totally understandable. So I'm going to leave the deadline open for a little while, to give opportunity to anyone who might want to submit a mix but needs more time to work on it.

[b]Please message me if you're planning on entering a mix[/b] - and when you might have it finished by - and I'll extend the deadline accordingly. After which, we'll start the voting as per usual.

It's a great track, so it would be a shame for it to get lost amidst the usual summer 'haze' of busyness :)

Cheers,

Paul

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1404735390' post='2495154']
Oops, sorry, I think I've broken the mixing challenge!
[/quote]

You're not the sole responsible, I've had to desist, with regret, for technical reasons. My poor ol' PC is not able to cope. I'm looking into upgrading, but it sure won't be this month..! :(

• 2 weeks later...

[size=5][color=#B22222][b]NEWSFLASH: The deadline for entries is now midnight on Saturday 2nd August.[/b][/color][/size]

As mentioned in the Composition Competition thread, I'm moving house next week [i](it's been a long time coming but Mrs Skol and I are now finally Oscar Mike to suburbia). [/i]This means I'll have patchy internet access and a boxed-up computer for a little while, so I'm pushing back the deadline to compensate.

If you haven't submitted a mix, but were toying with the idea, then now's your chance! :)

• 2 weeks later...

[color=#800000][b]UPDATE[/b][/color]

I've still got no Internet at home and can't launch the voting until I do... [i](as I need to upload the entries)[/i]. So the competition is still open for a few days, until the lovely people at BT pull their fingers out of their whatsits and do the job their pay for :)

This has been really interesting - each mix has their own merits.

1: This has totally changed the vibe of the song. The original intention was to have a sparse, dubby number with extended trippy guitar outro. With the added keys in the mix, and the way the guitars have been arranged, it really changes the 'bounce' of the song - and I like it! It has been cut down to a more 'poppy' three mins with no extended outro, and that really works with this style. Altogether very creative and skilful.

2: This is probably most in keeping with the original vision of the song. Nice delays on the snare and a great dubby plod all the way through. Love it. There were two bass tracks laid down, one straight to desk, which was brighter and had more of the bass' timbre, and the miked up amp track which had lots of crazy boosted eq, sounding darker and fatter. It sounds like this mix has used the former track, which I would instinctively have thought would be less apt for this style of song, but it sounds great to me in the mix. Also the vocals are lower in the mix than would expect, but again, it seems to work well with the track.

3: To my ears, this is the most stripped-back mix. From the off, the drums are very 'dry' and this gives a different feel to the other versions. I reckon that this mix has used the other bass track (the miked-up amp) and it sounds really big and fat. The combination works quite well. I think that the vocal and guitar levels have been very well considered in this track.

I'll not reveal my vote, but rest assured, it wasn't an easy choice. Well done mixers :-)

... and voted..! Excellent surprise to find such diversity; well done, all three. I finally went for concision (that might be a clue..? :P[size=4] ). The stems were interesting, and I regret not have been able to try my hand at this, but I very much doubt I'd have rivalled these tracks, anyway. Congratulations to the band, too...[/size]

• 2 weeks later...