Why become a member? ×

BBC Jazz Young Musician of the Year 2014

jimbobothy

Hey folks,

I don't play the upright but one of the finalist of the first BBC Jazz Young Musician of the Year award does, he's 2nd up and seems pretty good to me :lol: !

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0446mwx/bbc-young-musician-2014-8-jazz-award"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...14-8-jazz-award[/url] (only got 5 days left to watch though!)

Enjoy!!

Edited by jimbobothy

Great musicians on the show; I particularly liked the last sax player - who didn't win, incidentally. The only one not attending a music school, rather doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Music at St Pauls. My pal did those and promptly got sent to GCHQ where he went quietly mad.

The young bass player had some excellent solo chops but his walking lines were a bit choppy rather than having a strong sustained flow. That'll come with age and maturity; what is he, 14? Blimey.

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Given that Freddie is only 14 he's an incredible db player. He either has very strong fingers or very low tension strings.

The saxophonist who won and the last contestant stood out imo.

Incredible performances from such young musicians. I'm worried about the lack of diversity of the candidates though, all white, all male, all attending music schools apart from one (who goes to a £30k a year private school) but then again it would be terrible if they selected candidates on anything other than ability. I was particularly impressed by the trumpet and double bass players - people forget that the saxophone is a considerably easier instrument to play jazz lines on! The first saxophone player was incredibly impressive for 13, with a very sweet tone - almost sounded like a soprano. All the players except the trumpeter lacked a bit of depth in their tone - it was all a bit 'glossy' but I'm really splitting hairs considering the age group. I'm twice the age of the bass player and while I play with a much higher action and gut strings I would kill for that kind of technical fluency.

These guys are incredible, no doubt about that.

The double bass player is 10x better than me... and i'm off to study at music college next year. (Of course music should be about music and not competition but of course thats a part of it)

Does kind of put into perspective how much a difference these music colleges make! I have to agree with Mark it would of be nicer to see some musicians from 'normal' backgrounds however i'd hate for the competition to be like a sob story from X Factor with little talent. Where these guys are actually incredible players!

Yeah, it's all amazing stuff. If you didn't catch the 'normal' BBC Young Musician of the Year 2014 that is also well worth a look. I particularly liked the percussion final, http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b041m7hm/bbc-young-musician-2014-2-percussion-final, you do now only have 4 days to watch it (and all the other episodes as well!).

Edited by jimbobothy

I'm glad you all enjoyed it. It's been a big part of my life since last summer working on this comp.
Re: diversity, it really is a tough one. There was a stringent jury who chose purely the best 5 on the day of auditions. I'm hoping the coverage of this years comp will raise the profile of it and through this more people will audition. So if you know any young uns out there who have what it takes, get them practicing and make sure they keep an eye out for applications next year! (Applications will go live probably around April/ May)
Only 3 days left for Iplayer but all of the whole performances will be on the website forever!