Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot - what happened to you?

Marvin

[quote name='W1_Pro' timestamp='1479098782' post='3173885']
In 1985, I sold all of the premium bonds my parents had accumulated for me over the previous twenty years-much to my mothers disgust- and bought a TE AH150 with a TE 810 cab from Livewire in Cardiff. It is still, hands down, effortlessly the best rig I have ever owned and I've since spent a small fortune trying to recapture that sound.
[/quote]

Really? I used to help out in Livewire a lot, was never officially on the payroll though.
Great shop, they had some awesome gear in there.

I have the RAH 300-12 SMX. Or, more accurately, I have 2 in case one needs to go into hospital. One is rackmounted into an ABS case and weighs in at 12kg, the other out of any box and slightly lighter. For me, and the tone I am looking for, it hits the spot. Pre-shape 1 and then dial in the blend with a flat eq to slightly cut the bass if the room requires it. Not found anything else that does the same thing so far so I stick with this.

My nod to new stuff is that I think it actually sounds better with a Barefaced Supercompact than with the TE cabs I had. And even better still with two Barefaced Supercompacts... :)

I would love to see someone take the Trace name and develop the sound /amps into a new era. E.g., similar style to the old amp heads, but much smaller, modern top of the line Class D power, etc.

Basically similar to the Ashdown graphic EQ amp head but maybe co-designed with them, pitch the price close to similar amps, design a set of neo cabs.

Man....if I was in my career when I had my 400SMX I would have kept it forever!

I did suggest re-naming the Retroglide 800 as the Romford 800, but they didn't 😜. The red face Ashdown Mark King amp was essentially a new Trace, although it was no micro.

The original concept for TE was a studio channel front end, with a power amp suitable for full range PA. To me, regardless of their 80's history, that's still a valid concept...and can now be done without the heavyweight transformers and casework.

I've no idea what the TE name would cost, but if I was running a successful company already, it would have to be fairly cheap to make me interested. Maybe a boutique brand re-launch sometime in the future?