Why become a member? ×

Home made double bass stand

Made this low budget stand for double bass using some left over plywood and other odds and ends lying about in the shed. I did buy a metre of faux leather to stick on the two ribs which support the bass and the glue to stick it on. Began by sticking two sheets of 9mm ply together with wood glue; cut the curved shape and built a rigid box frame using screws and wood glue. It was designed so that the bass just fits in front to back. Fitted the two ribs to support the bass and played around with various heights for these until the bass could sit on the stand with end pin fully extended. There is a hole in the bottom of the box for the end pin. I fitted some castors I bought for another purpose and never used but I'm thinking I'll take these off to reduce the overall height. The advantage of this stand is that the bass sits vertically using up the minimum floor space in my studio.

Looks good. I would think removing the castors is a good idea. If anyone hits the stand and it starts rolling, the bass might tip over.

Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the inside to, unless it's pat. pending :)

Nice idea, very neat work too
And of course, it's been made of left-overs...
Even better :)

Maybe you could sell these?

Hmm.... I'm now thinking how I could do something similar,
and make the height adjustable.....

[quote name='Lazybirdpete' timestamp='1401310612' post='2462416']
Hi Marc, you could use adjustable legs as fitted to kitchen cabinets. My plan originally was to set the height so that I could keep the end pin on the bass at its ready to play position: unfortunately my studio ceiling is on the low side so that proved tricky.
[/quote]

Yes, it's nice to be able to keep the endpin at its' playing height....

Another good tip, re the adjustable legs
I can see you've given this some thought :)

Marc