Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tonehammer 500 vs Little Mark iii (or any other suggestions?)

knoxy26

[quote name='knoxy26' timestamp='1401359903' post='2462760']
Im going to be running the Amp through a Barefaced Big Baby II.
Its that feeling that your always going to be missing out not matter what you get.... :huh: .
[/quote]

I've been doing the tone-quest for about 40 years and am currently using a Fusion and Barefaced Big One. Alex of Barefaced recommends GK amps (among others) for use with BF cabs and I can tell you from experience that the Fusion works really well with a BF cab... IMO and YMMV of course - but there will always be that feeling that the grass is always greener, hence the fact that most members have more than one rig... hope this helps. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='mirszmarsz' timestamp='1401387704' post='2463173']
We did compare TH500 with GK 500 MB fusion ... and my inpression was GK, GK, GK!
[/quote]

Quite so, but if you compare them visually the TH looks like a fifties retro space-ship console...
and the GK looks like a car radio.

But that's irrelevant, isn't it? No-one on this forum listens with their eyes, do they??!! Oh, no. :D

• 6 months later...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401389889' post='2463216']

Quite so, but if you compare them visually the TH looks like a fifties retro space-ship console...
and the GK looks like a car radio.

But that's irrelevant, isn't it? No-one on this forum listens with their eyes, do they??!! Oh, no. :D
[/quote]

If it was we would all be binning our mark bass amps

Well now having had both, I`d go for Markbass if wanting a clean but warm/fat presence in the mix, but Aguilar if needing some drive - which is in fact what I have done. The TH500 does what I was doing with my Little Mark 3 and VT DI pedal. It also has different frequncy areas on mids and highs which work better for me on what I`m currently doing.

So, given that I like more old school rock tone (think Squire, Jon Camp, Rutherford, Glover, Geezer, Glenn Hughes etc - although I do venture into early Zender-esque territory occasionally) using Ricks and Ps and don't tend to like modern amps much, which would be most suitable - allowing for the fact that no-one else is me of course - out of the GK, Orange and TH? I find Markbass a bit 'meh' for what I want, a bit compressed-sounding & lacking in dynamics, which will suit some of course. Haven't liked the Shuttles or TCs I've tried. I di like my old early Trace gear and ABMs, so I suppose Mibass could be an option.

I'm really interested in the Orange TB but seem to have seen so many issues on BC and I can't have an unreliable amp as I can't afford a spare (although i do have my trusty BDDI).

TH500 for me over the LM. I can push the TH to 1 on both dials and that
is plenty loud. It still retains a faithful sound and so therefore 'amps' up well.
I find the LM sounds great at low volume but loses that 'focus' when driven
and I am alway having to drive amps. The LM gets harsh and hard and a
bit sterile to me which is why I've never liked them or been convinced.
The TH does not have hi sheen, but I've never found it lacking there and
am a bit bemused by people who say it lacks there...and this coming from someone
who has a toppy sound...!!
I don't say the TH500 is the only answer and it has limitations as a class D...
but less so that the others, I've tried,
I think it will suit old skool as Aguilar have targetted and stolen Ampegs market
and just do that all better...again, IMO.
I would say the PF500 is a reasonably close second to the TH for a certain sound and if they
have sorted the reliability issues. Some in the trade say they have, going by the lack of returns of late..???

Well I`ve had the OTB, GK MB500 & MB500 Fusion, Little Mark 3 and now the Aguilar TH500. For the music mentioned, I`d be looking at either the GK MB 500 Fusion, or the Aguilar TH500 with probably the TH500 getting the vote due to it doing a very good, old-school driven sound. The GK can do driven, but not as much imo, and it also sounds more modern - at least it did to me.

And as JT says, despite some on-line verdicts, the Aggie certainly can do toppy - the sound I use at present is that middy, trebly, gnarly, driven 80s punk sound, where the bassist also wanted to be heard, and the TH does it wonderfully, and that`s using a Precision with flats! I think because it does that warm, Ampeggy thing so well all the youtube demos concentrate on that and forget what else it can do.

I know this is daft but I always get a bit weird around Aguilar due to the GS112 cabs I had, which turned out to be everything I didn't want. I'd like to be converted. The trick would be matching it with the correct cab as I don't like tweeters.

Not sure what you mean...
I sold my GS112's as they only sounded very good with new strings as they were voiced too dark/low for my
tastes and style.
I thought the cabs were good at what they were meant to do...ie, big and low, but that wasn't working for me.
A soon as the strings went off...the cabs didn't have enough clarity or cut.
The DB version was better and more mid voiced.
I run Bergs now with a TH500 which gets 'rave' reviews from muso's around here but I have something in mind
that will work better and you'll not need a horn.... and will do a Geddy Lee thing quite easily, IMO..

GS112s didn't have enough cut? Crikey, I had to turn the tweeters completely off, they sounded like someone throwing bottles at a greenhouse with me through them. The cabs had no real depth to me (low mids maybe, lows no) no articulation with the tweeters off and no bark at all. My Barefaced Compact worked far, far better for me, although still was ultimately lacking in punch and bark.

Can't get my head round this... the GS cab is renowned for it big lows over all else...and IME, those lows
overshadow the rest of the cab. For me, this makes it too dull... and the space between the chassis roll-off
and the horn doesn't or can't rescue it for my purposes.
The DB is voiced more consistantly thru the mods IMO, as is the SL which gets that NEO thing going quite well.
oh well......

Fatness and deep lows aren't the same IMO. Take a P Bass, it's about low mids, i.e. fatness, not real depth. Rics go deeper but aren't as fat. I never found even 2 x GS112s went deep compared to other cabs I owned, but they did go fat in a woolly, muddled way (YMMV). Some of that perception will depend on the bass that's going through it and the hands playing it. A different player or a different bass may achieve totally different results.

I found the cabs dull and muddled at the bottom but glassy and brittle at the top with no midrange punch or articulation to speak of, at least for what I want. Like you say, there seemed to be no unity across the frequencies, just a disconnected top and bottom.

Anyway, I think we've drifted off topic...

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1401211042' post='2461260']
A used Genz Streamliner is a good one to try out too - warm, punchy and buckets of power. I'd love to give a GK Fusion a spin myself and the Tonehammer has always sounded good to me when I've heard one.
[/quote]

A Genz Benz Streamliner 600 or 900, indeed!
Sound huge, and to my ears better than the ToneHammer. The TH500 is nice, but I get frustrated with how everything interacts with everything else... the Streamliner is simple, and is more versatile soundwise.

[quote name='knoxy26' timestamp='1401359903' post='2462760']
Wow! Cheers for all the responses guys.

Im going to be running the Amp through a Barefaced Big Baby II.

Hopefully going to be able to go give these a go. I have been edging towards the Aguilar as thats what I am most used to, but now Im more interested in the GK and the Genz.

Its thats feeling that your always going to be missing out not matter what you get.... :huh: .
[/quote]

Big Baby 2? THat's what I use with the Streamliner 900... I love the combination! I used a LM3 and a LMT800 too, but the Streamliner wins, for me. I also tried a TH500 through it... Nice sound, but fiddly, and too dark.

Streamliner FTW

I found a room that the TH and Bergs couldn't cope with last night.
I should have taken my other rig and I would have gotten natural depth
more easily but the room was...er...very difficult and sometimes you just
have accept that.
Anyone played the Oak room in Le Meriden in Piccadilly will know what I mean.

• 10 months later...

Bringing up a bit of an older thread, but it's around the decision I'm looking at at the moment. Currently using a Markbass 115 cab with a GK 1001-II head and looking to move to a lighter, smaller amp. I like the tone at the moment, but would prefer something cleaner/flatter/more transparent. My OCD side would prefer to keep it all the same company, but I'm quite tempted by the Tone Hammer 500, especially as I'm also considering the TH preamp/DI pedal for when I'm playing ampless.

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1445004577' post='2888106']
As a thought, has anyone tried running a Aguilar preamp into a Markbass power amp? Best of both worlds, or major faff for no benefit?
[/quote]

Faff for no beneifit, IMO.
If you what a TH pre. just get the TH500 and you have one lightweight capable amp.
People go lightweight because they want less to carry...IMO.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1401194019' post='2460965']
Check out the Tecamp Puma 500. Honest wattage and modern tone. Also it is a plug and play amp with a very intuitive EQ. The Tonehammer is a very different beast, has oodles of power but is rolled back on the highs and is more about vintage tone. As always, if at all possible try before you buy
[/quote]

This.

I recently got a Puma 300 and it's great - the TASTE control, combined with the EQ is brilliant.

And it is only 2.2 lb.

And no fan.

Brilliant amp