Why become a member? ×

Bucket List Moment Prompts Bass Return

richarding

Hi,

Having had a semi mid-life crisis the other week and realising that it's only 13 years until I turn 60, I took stock of what it really was I wanted to achieve in life.
Having a wife and two sons is great, but sometimes the person you once were gets lost in the mix. So, to that end, I decided to pick up my bass again and make a real effort to lean to play to the best of my ability.

Some history - Back in my late teens and early twenty's I used an early Squire Jazz bass to which I added a Badass II bridge and some Reflex pickup (I still remember chiselling away at the bass in my bedroom). I fondly remember making the pilgrimage to London and out to the Bass Centre at Wapping and even travelled up for several weeks to attend a foundation course at the Bass Institute.

However, too much youthful focus on the work of Stanley Clarke and Billy Sheehan left me disillusioned and having no other musicians to play with (essential with any instrument, but especially bass) the Jazz Bass has languished in the corner of my office.

Since my revelation I have now picked up, cleaned and restrung the Jazz bass, amazingly it still plays fine and I've been playing each day. I've arranged with a guitar playing friend to get together and learn a few songs and now purchases a fantastic Spector Legend 4 Customer and a TC Electronics BG250 208 amp.

Wisdom has now taught me that I need to practice, practice, practice and the world of YouTube has given me access to numerous sources of learning and inspiration (if only they’d had it 20 years ago!).

Glad I've found this forum; looking forward to communicating with like-minded people. :)

Richard

Hey Richard, welcome to the forum. The person you once were certainly does tend to get lost in the mix, you got that right.
If it's any consolation I'm only 6 years away from 60... and there are loads of smelly old people on here so you're in good company.

Enjoy the banter and more importantly, the vast amount of information on tap. :)

Hi mate, you sound like me. I'm trying hard too, but the (lovely) wife and (awesome) children do magic the time away, and I find myself practising at midnight-gone, when they are all tucked up in their beds.

Welcome to the site, it's nice here. :)

Welcome to Basschat from someone who went from owning a single bass (bought new in the late 80s) and I too hadn't bothered playing in a long time to now having a small collection of five basses that's grown to that number in just over a year... and I'm 60 in 2016...

Edited by HowieBass

Good afternoon, Richard, and ...

[url="http://www.smileyvault.com/"][/url]

... to the forum.

Lots to see and do here, much to learn and laugh at. There are quite enough old sods here to make you feel quite young again. Enjoy the trip...

Edited by Dad3353

Welcome, you young whippersnapper! ;)

Lovely intro you wrote, Richard, or rather: I liked reading it.

Enjoy the site, its laughs, its occasional eruptions of knowledge spreadage and the everlasting coldth (should have been a word) between old, smelly me and the discreet one with the brain. ;)

best,
bert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard,
Bore Da from Wales,

We are of a similar sort of age group, and I'm finding more people on this forum in the same sort of age bracket
So don't worry about that! The important thing, is just to enjoy your playing...

This is my second spell at bass playing. The first being in my late teens / early 20's
I then gave up for over 20 years :o

Now I'm playing again, I really rue the fact that I ever stopped in the first place
But that's life - it can get in the way
The odd thing is that my ex-wife bought my lad a bass for Christmas a few years back
So I dug out my old Ibanez, and gave him a few simple lessons
(it had been so long, I could hardly remember much myself)

Five or so years on from that - I've not looked back
Sometimes I feel frustrated, in that some of the old basslines I could play well
(Iron Maiden for instance) - I now struggle with some of the speed
However, I beat myself up less for something not being quite 100%

I always strive to do my best of course
But I think I'm more relaxed about certain things

And yes, practice, practice, practice is what I need to do too

Good luck, but most of all, enjoy your 2nd spell of playing :)

Marc

EDIT: I treated myself to the double bass I pondered getting in my youth, but could never afford back then too
..... oh, and a lovely Red Musicman :) - and I'm so glad I've done these things....

Edited by Marc S

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard

I'm less than 4 years away from the big 60 and gave just re-discovered the joy of playing live again. Only local pub stuff but the buzz is nearly as god as sex!

I played ad gigged a lot in my youth then gave up due to young family and work.

Unfortunately, unlike you, I sold my gear (black early 70's Rickenbacker 4001 with rare chequered binding, Matamp 100w head and 2 Marshall 4x12 )

Anyway, enough regret about old gear I should have kept, keep it up and get out there and play live

Phil

[quote name='ricksterphil' timestamp='1403381531' post='2482306']
Matamp 100w head and 2 Marshall 4x12... Anyway, enough regret about old gear I should have kept...
[/quote]

Probably just as well - you'd have given yourself a hernia by now. ;)

I'm of the same age Rich and had been away from playing for a while. Basschat has really given me the inspiration to be playing music again with other musos and of course, created a huge amount of GAS. Hope you have room for all the new gear you will be wanting :-)

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1403510323' post='2483247']
I'm of the same age Rich and had been away from playing for a while. Basschat has really given me the inspiration to be playing music again with other musos and of course, created a huge amount of GAS. Hope you have room for all the new gear you will be wanting :-)
[/quote]

Yes, I've noticed my GAS has increased hugely since joining basschat :o
Still, so has my enjoyment of playing :)