Why become a member? ×

I've never seen a Warwick (Rockbass) like this one

Annoying Twit

I've never seen a Warwick (Rockbass) like this before. I presumed that it would have been discussed here, but a quick search didn't find a previous thread.

This sells for the equivalent of £202 [url="http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/bass/bass-guitars/rockbass-shaped-w-4-string-black-satin-fretted-1544739315cpmaha1wm.html"]brand new[/url] in New Zealand. That compares to what appears to be a no-name PJ copy selling for £167, or a Squier Affinity selling for the same price as the Rockbass. Rockbasses seem cheaper over there.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1401202780' post='2461132']
I think it was some sort of anniversary model, not an entirely serious instrument...

Damn it's ugly though.
[/quote]

According to the NZ shop, originally this was a bass received by Warwick from a distributor to mark its 30th anniversary. But then Warwick put it into production.

The bridge looks really oddly placed to me, not being central on the W. But I presume that was necessary to get the body to balance without angling the W so that the 'horns' didn't get in the way. Or???

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1401202780' post='2461132']
Damn it's ugly though.
[/quote]

[quote name='basshead56' timestamp='1401250128' post='2461626']
fugly az bro...
[/quote]

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1401261709' post='2461661']
w***.
[/quote]

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1401262602' post='2461675']
Awful.
[/quote]

So it's just like almost every other Warwick then. ;-)

Now that the action is sorted out, I quite like my Rockbass Streamer Standard. There are better basses around, including several I own. But, I don't think it's bad, and they have found a reasonable price for what you get on the second hand market. I wish the passive pickups had a bit more oomph though.

• 3 months later...

Today I actually saw one of these W basses in person. It did look a bit inexpensive in the flesh. The same shop had a really large range of the new Rockbass basses with the W on the headstock and small 'Rockbass', including a six string. The guy in the shop said that the basses with the W body weren't bad for the price. He said that the two closely spaced single coil (I presume) pickups sound quite decent.

The picture seems to have disappeared from the first post:

EDIT: It has it's own trebly single coil sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLavQlMTI-0

Edited by Annoying Twit

I had a go on it yesterday. I would say that it plays and sounds similar to the similarly (in NZ) priced Squier Affinity Jazz. I didn't play them side by side however, so that's not a scientific comparison. It feels, particularly the neck, a little bit cheaper than my Rockbass Streamer Standard. (Old model with the big 'Rockbass' on the headstock).