Why become a member? ×

D7susb9

Looking into melodic minor chords and in the key of C the second chord would beD7susb9 when considering the upper extensions.

What would be the logical way to write this out for instance in an exam? What intervals would I put?

1 5 7 b9
D - A - C - Eb?

My main concern is that I realise I'm substituting the 3rd for the 9th, but does this mean I would leave a gap in the stave where the 3rd would be? Surely it would be incorrect to put the 2nd in its place as that's not what the chord is specifying.. I was always told that when you have upper extensions you must first put all the first octave intervals in.

Hopefully that makes sense to somebody?

At the risk of embarrassing myself in front of far more knowledgeable theorists...would the OP's chord not be either D7sus(b2) or D7b9 (without 3rd)?

My understanding of suspended chords is as a way of replacing the 3rd with either the 2nd or 4th, so you often see sus2s and sus4s if, like me, you spend too long learning to play Who songs. I've never seen the suspended 2nd or 4th sharpened or flattened before, which makes me think D7b9 would be a better candidate.

Edit: as for writing the intervals out in an exam, if you were to write it out as per your original suggestion, I reckon that would make a strong case for D7b9!

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

The mode from the melodic minor is Dorian b9 or Phrygian major 6.

It produces a minor chord you have the minor 3rd - F and minor 7 - C.

Harmonised though it's usually written as Dsusb9, and has the 4th instead of the minor 3rd.

It's not D7b9 because that would need the 3rd, which is a minor.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1401283902' post='2462017']
The mode from the melodic minor is Dorian b9 or Phrygian major 6.

It produces a minor chord you have the minor 3rd - F and minor 7 - C.

Harmonised though it's usually written as Dsusb9, and has the 4th instead of the minor 3rd.

It's not D7b9 because that would need the 3rd, which is a minor.
[/quote]

That makes more sense now..

So if you were to write it as a chord on the stave. Would you write it R 4th 7th b9th?

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1401287491' post='2462062']

That makes more sense now..

So if you were to write it as a chord on the stave. Would you write it R 4th 7th b9th?
[/quote]

Yeah write the notes you want played, maybe write the chord name above.