Why become a member? ×

Loosen strings?

BassBus

I am not playing my DB at the moment and will not be doing so for at least the rest of this year. Any of you who have experience of this, would it be advisable to loosen the strings or leave them at tension on the neck? The bass is in a room in the house with no damp problems and low central heating. Any advice would be great. Ta.

Edited by BassBus

I too would say leave it under tension. After all, if you were playing it every day, or less frequently, you would leave it under tension. So, why any different? I'll be very interested to hear alternative views.
Like Phil, I speak not as a luthier but as an (ex-) engineer (Rolls Royce).

Maybe give the bridge a wack on the top where the strings rest every now and then. Sometimes the strings can start pulling the bridge up and it will warp. I do this periodically to keep the bridge seated. A nice bound hard cover book works well :)

This happens as the string tension equalizes between the playing length and the afterlength. A well-tuned bass that has been that way for awhile should not have this issue. Mine has been sitting for months on the same stand in a closet with no shift, after my old band folded and I'm looking for a new band to play.