Why become a member? ×

Modifying A Stingray!

NJE

Hi there total newbie here just asking for a little advice on a few mods Im thinking about doing on my stingray.

1. I need to replace the nut on my stingray as its down to the fetboard and was wondering which material to get. Im thinking graphite or brass, but was wondering if anyone out there has either of these on their basses, and how they find them and how they affect the sound. Any other material suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

2. Im thinking about changing the pickup as the pole pieces have rusted and i find them a bit pointy and sharp. i like the idea of a smooth cover (bartolini style). Just wondering if anyone has replaced their stingray pickup and which ones people generally recomend. I have heard Barts are a bit gutless, but interested to hear views on basslines, nordstrands, emg etc.

Thanks very much.

Nath

How old is your Stingray?

Most people like the sound of a brass nut but if I was you, I'd be considering the Warwick adjust-a-nut if it matched the width of your existing nut. You can get them through the bass centre.

As for pickups, there's nothing inherently wrong with the stock pickup. Why do you find the pole pieces sharp? They didn't leave the factory that way.

In my experience:
Bartolini - warm sounding, but woolly. Best suited for warm sounding basses.
Seymore Duncan - lacking in warmth a little. Good for a modern tone.
Nordstrand - probably the best balanced out of the three but the preEB pickup is still warmer.
Delano - I've not tried one in a stingray yet but in Sandberg basses, they're warm and clear.

Cheers for the info.

Its about 8 years old I think (havent checked the serial) and im the second owner. The pickup poles are really rusty and scabby and a couple protrude out what seems quite a long way. I may just leave it in but i quite like that smooth cover look and rusty pole pieces just irritate me (im a bit obsessive about clean guitars). I hadnt thought about those delano pickups I remember them being very good when i played a sandberg a while back.

As for the nut, good suggestion on the adjustable warwick, I didnt know you could buy them. Will definately look into whether it will fit. Brass does seem to be very popular amongst some big players just worried it may make a bright sounding ray brighter.

Cheers.

The Nordstrand pickups are amazing. Niceguyhomer has one in his Sterling, I've played it, and it's wicked. Big sound and clear as a bell, very nice.

I wondered about a brass nut for my ray, that'd be my choice as they give a nice boost to the sustain.

ebmm stingray for a long time had sharp unfinished polepieces.they were irritating to fingertips if the pickup was raised too much.

I used to have a Kent Armstrong flat topped MM bucker in a bass that sounded quite good if a little generic.My Bart MMC sounded warmer but a bit polite and un-stingraylike.

favourite replacement for me was the SD basslines alnico one

DJ

• 3 weeks later...

You could also try EB customer service - they will swap over your pickup for one of the newer ones with the smoothed over poles. I can't remember how much it is. They will take your old one back so you may be without a pickup for a week or 2 until they send you the replacement

I know what you mean about the sharpness of the pickup poles. My 20th anniversary stingray was like that