Why become a member? ×

YYZ the tricky first bit, does this look right?

In fact, just like this:
[url="http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/rush/yyz_btab.htm"]http://tabs.ultimate...sh/yyz_btab.htm[/url]

t t s s s s s s s s s s s s q+E t t s s s q
+---------------------6-8-9-8--------+-----------------+
|5:-------------6-7-9---------9-10---|2:-9-10-9------R-|
|4:-------6-7-9----------------------|4:--------10-9---|
+---8-8-9----------------------------+-----------------+

s^ s^ s^ s s s s s s h q s s s s s s e h s s s s s s s s E E e
+----------------------------------+---2-2---2---------+-2-2---2---------------+
|5:-12-12-12-10-12-10-9---------12-|4:-----4---4-3-2---|-----4---4-2-----------|
|4:---------------------12-10-9----|4:---------------4-|-------------4-3-2-4---|
+----------------------------------+-------------------+---------------------2-+

Edited by Woodinblack

Just for your information, the Trinity Rock And Pop Grade 8 Bass exam has YYZ on their syllabus (and it's one of the tunes I'll be using for my exam once I finish the job I'm currently on).
It'd obviously be out of order for me to post a copy of it or provide a link to it, but, should you stumble across the syllabus book in a music shop there's no harm in having a look and seeing how they've transcribed it.

FYI, Their transcription starts on the 8th fret of the E string, and the first run is grouped together as 13-lets (as in trip-lets!) in one bar of 4/4, the three notes after the C are quaver triplets, and the run down to the F# are all equal semi-quavers.

It's a good fun track to play and I'm looking forward to the exam (once I know when I'm coming home!!).

I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='aidanhallbass' timestamp='1405413247' post='2501617']
I'm doing this as one of my exam pieces today , had to relearn it to fit round their notation. doing hit me with your rhythm stick and over the electric grapevine too. nervous?? Me?? just a little :/
[/quote]

How did you get on? I'm going to do love games & 6:00 too, I was worried that if I played one of my own tunes or selected another track which wasn't in the book as the third piece that it might not be up to the standard.

How was the exam structure? How were the non-set piece sections of the exam?

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1406018211' post='2507458']
I know this track but cannot get a handle on what part of it the 'tricky first bit' refers to. Can someone indicate the point in the track where this line occurs (e.g. 1.10 or 3.20 etc). Or write out the dots ;)
[/quote]

It's the bit between the main opening riff and the 'verse'. It kicks off with that quick ascending run.
I'm actually pleased to have stumble on this as it's the bit of the song I could never quite get right.

Interestingly, there is a version of this on youtube with Geddy's bass mixed forward in the mix. What is enlightening (and gives us all al ittle hope) is the fact that, when you listen to it, you realise where his bass was dropped in. All those monster fills where he plays agasint Peart's drum fills were all drop ins. Also to hear how dirty the bass was.

The interesting thing as it relates to the lick under discussion is that the first triplet is even and doesn;t have a double note on the first note of the triplet as the aboive transcription would suggest. I heard it as a two eighth notes as well but it isn't.

One of my bands used to play YYZ at the end of our show in an "introducing the band" type deal. Haven't listened to the track (or Moving pictures) in ages. This thread inspired me to play it again, man is it a work out!

We used to play it maybe 15-20 BPM faster than the original too.

Safe to say my isolated bass track for it wouldn't always be pretty haha!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1406216128' post='2509425']
when you listen to it, you realise where his bass was dropped in. All those monster fills where he plays agasint Peart's drum fills were all drop ins.
[/quote]

This makes me feel a little better considering the attention I had to give these fills in order to nail them!