Why become a member? ×

oh oh what have I done?

gadgie

Hi,

Well after playing guitar for 30+ years, I have now ended up trying to take up the bass.

How did that happen? Well to be honest it was luck...if you could call it that.

I was out on my motorcycle on a nice sunny day and decided to visit an old friend of mine (lead guitar) who has played in various bands for years. I got to his house in the country and he's sitting out the back yard drinking coffee and smoking his roll ups. I asked what he was up to and he said that he was waiting for his girlfriend (singer) and her brother (guitar) and another old friend of mine (drums). 'We are going to practice for an upcoming gig' he said. Cool I thought, a free coffee, and free live music in the sun....and a nice motorcycle to get me home afterwards...what more could a man want?
Anyway the rest of the band arrive and and the brother is looking glum. It seems that their 3rd bassist has let them down again. So 'he's out!' was the cry from the rest of the (minus a bassist) band.
My friend asked if I wanted to play bass. I laughed and said I can't play bass. He said the the brother was currently helping out on bass as the other 3 had not really got going with the band. I still said no as I had no idea really what to do.
Anyway they started playing their own tunes and they sounded not bad and my feet were soon tapping. I noticed the the bassist (the brother) was just playing root notes. Now I know what a root note is, so when they finished and asked if I wanted to jam with them on the bass I said yes.
I loved it. Instead of playing single string notes like the brother, my guitar playing allowed me to figure out some other notes on different strings. The rest of them were smiling and nodding their heads etc. Afterwards they asked again if I would consider playing with them on bass. I said 'okay until you get a real player'.
Been jamming 3 times now and practicing the songs on my own at home and really liking it.
Borrowed a bass from my eldest son to get started. Now I've bought my own (or at least swapped one of my many guitars for one).
Sorry to ramble on
Gadgie

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1401537935' post='2464522']
Instead of playing single string notes like the brother, my guitar playing allowed me to figure out some other notes on different strings.
[/quote]

What? BURN THE WITCH !

Just kidding welcome to bass playing and chatting here.

Mike

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1401579121' post='2465035']
Thanks for the replies. However, cool is not a word usually associated with me lol
[/quote]

Let's see. You ride a motorbike, you play guitar, and bass. Sounds cool to me. Now, if you have a beard, icing on the cake!

Welcome to Basschat :)

Welcome to the deep side and BC. Be prepared for some serious GAS though, I used to hanker after guitar related stuff back when I played but that's nothing compared to bass GAS; you have been warned. :)

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1401614936' post='2465161']
Let's see. You ride a motorbike, you play guitar, and bass. Sounds cool to me. Now, if you have a beard, icing on the cake!
[/quote]

Absolutely! I may be biased in all four of those departments, however :happy:

:crigon_04:

i shouldnt worry too much mister gadgie its probably just a passing phase

how did you find the jamming though? pretty easy really this bass malarkey :)

have fun

youll be fine on here as long as you dont mention the beatles

or mustang sally :ph34r:

Thanks for the welcome guys.
Trust me I suffer from GAS all the time. I've probably got enough gear to start a wee shop. The only problem being is that I find it hard to sell or trade stuff so end up keeping it:(
Enjoying the bass and the jamming was good. I need to learn though that it's about being rock steady and not fancyshmanshy. Read the Sultans of Swing thread today and realised that:) Noticed that I've been listening to bass on songs now rather than the other stuff.....jeezo it can go to extremes though can't it.
Away to 50p in the meter!!

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1401784555' post='2466715']
it's about being rock steady
[/quote]

yes defnitiely this - and if the drummer and bass player are spot on then even a mediocre guitarist can get away with murder ;)

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1401785201' post='2466719']
yes defnitiely this - and if the drummer and bass player are spot on then even a mediocre guitarist can get away with murder ;)
[/quote]

I have been for years :)