Why become a member? ×

Re-shaping a headstock

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]I’ve just bought a Harley Benton 50’s P copy, which despite being a cheapie, is a great bass and I’m very pleased with it. The only thing that I find a bit annoying is the shape of the headstock. It’s way too modern and I’d like to re-shape it to something a bit closer to the original design. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]How easy would this be for a less than confident amateur? What’s the best tool for the job? Jigsaw, router, fret saw? Also, how easy would it be to patch up the satin finish? Or would I have to refin the whole neck? Lastly, is there an easy way to remove the decals, without sanding?[/color][/size][/font]

Cheers!

The easiest way to do this would be to strip down the neck and use a DremeI or router to shape it.

Now to your next issue: "Less than confident amateur"

If you're not practical you probably won't own either of the above. Also if youre looking for a good pro looking job you probably would be best having an experienced person to do the job.

personally I'd sand down the whole neck and headstock. Reshape with my Dremel and then wet'n'dry. Finally I'd refin with Colron natural Danish oil (3 coats) and natural Briwax (3 coats) for a great satin refinish. Both products available at any B&Q. THe final finish will possibly be a fraction darker than the current colour.

Here's a maple neck I did the same thing on .....

[url=http://www.ephotobay.com/share/oiled-neck-b.html][/url]

From this,

[URL=http://s157.photobucket.com/user/Maudebass/media/120120141398_zps2b8cf865.jpg.html][IMG]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t49/Maudebass/120120141398_zps2b8cf865.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

To this,

[URL=http://s157.photobucket.com/user/Maudebass/media/130120141404_zpsc89fa494.jpg.html][IMG]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t49/Maudebass/130120141404_zpsc89fa494.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I marked out the new profile and used a 20mm belt sander to shape nearly to the line, then finished off by hand with sandpaper on a block.
When almost there go down through the grades and finish with a fine paper, I then just finished with wax until the shade matched.

The decal wasn't under all the lacquer so came without removing the finish totally (printed on rather than a decal). I liked the neck finish so didn't want to touch that but after sanding 'til the decal came off I went down through the grades on the headstock and polished to a satin finish so that the new profile edges wax finish matched, it sort of fades from satin to gloss on the side from the new finish to the old but I'm not too worried as it's functional and really doesn't notice until close inspection.
Sorry no pictures yet of the finished headstock but will try to get some this week, which reminds me I need to update the build diary I started on it.

Forgot to mention something which I hadn't considered before doing mine, and I can't guarantee it was definitely from the reshaping, is dead spots.

I did a makeover on a Variax and reshaped the above head and fitted 'elephant ear' tuners instead of the rectangular Line 6 ones. I also fitted La Bella white nylon strings afterwards and now have a slight dead spot on the B on G string (5th fret), classic dead spot area I believe.
It could be the strings changing the tension on the neck, but I don't think so, more likely is the change in mass of the head, I was hoping that shaving some of the wood off but fitting heavier tuners would counteract each other, but I now have a dead spot that definitely wasn't there before.

But I do have a Variax that doesn't look like sh*te :D .

Just something to consider and there no way of knowing until you do it.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1401648514' post='2465559']
Forgot to mention something which I hadn't considered before doing mine, and I can't guarantee it was definitely from the reshaping, is dead spots.

I did a makeover on a Variax and reshaped the above head and fitted 'elephant ear' tuners instead of the rectangular Line 6 ones. I also fitted La Bella white nylon strings afterwards and now have a slight dead spot on the B on G string (5th fret), classic dead spot area I believe.
It could be the strings changing the tension on the neck, but I don't think so, more likely is the change in mass of the head, I was hoping that shaving some of the wood off but fitting heavier tuners would counteract each other, but I now have a dead spot that definitely wasn't there before.

But I do have a Variax that doesn't look like sh*te :D .

Just something to consider and there no way of knowing until you do it.
[/quote]

THat's interesting to hear. Worry about creating dead spots is the thing that has stopped me doing the same thing so far. Thanks for sharing your experience.

• 4 months later...