Why become a member? ×

1977/78 fender precision bass.

waz23

Hi. Newbie here so please be gentle!!.
I am hoping that a kind person on this site can give me some pointers on the value of my late fathers 1977/78 natural/honey fender p.bass. In original order he only stopped playing this 2 years before he passed away,having owned it since 1981. 1 or 2 little scuffs in in great order.

Help please.

[quote name='waz23' timestamp='1401571447' post='2464946']
Hi. Thanks for you response. I will take some tomorrow(Its at my mothers at the mo) and post them then.
[/quote]

Very good. If you have any problems posting them just drop me a PM.

Hi Waz and welcome to the forum :)

Late 70's P basses tend to show up in the BassChat marketplace forum priced circa £1000 - £1500. Immaculate, mint condition Precisions in rare or desirable colours and with the original hardcase are sometimes priced higher.

What they eventually sell for is another matter ;)

Edited by skankdelvar

Gents. Just found these on my old phone. They`ll do as a taster. Do better ones tomorrow.

[url="about:blank"]DSC_0387.jpg[/url][url="about:blank"]DSC_0388.jpg[/url][url="about:blank"]DSC_0389 (1).jpg[/url]

yes, indeed, post some pics Waz. Always nice to see a 70's natural here. Brought up on them, I was. :)

Thing is, the BC market's a bit weird at the moment. Lots of 70's stuff around at very good prices. As for dealers, well, Andy Baxter's got a fair number of late '70's P's going between £1600 - £1900. If one assumes that a dealer will buy at 50-ish% of what he sells, that's £800-£1000 in the mitt [i]if[/i] he'd take it.

Best bet might be to stick it up for sale here on BassChat (paying the tiny £7.00 fee, of course) and see if anyone bites. We can talk you through the process, if needs be. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='waz23' timestamp='1401572226' post='2464952']
Gents. Just found these on my old phone. They`ll do as a taster. Do better ones tomorrow.

DSC_0387.jpgDSC_0388.jpgDSC_0389 (1).jpg
[/quote]

They dont appear to have appeared :blink:

Here's a thread that explains how to add a picture:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/191620-how-to-add-a-picture-to-your-post/
Simply put, you cannot just paste a picture into the post, but need to follow a certain procedure, as described in that thread.

If you still have trouble, then just send a PM to Discreet. He has too much time on his hands anyway. :P ;)

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1401573434' post='2464971']
If you still have trouble, then just send a PM to Discreet. He has too much time on his hands anyway. :P ;)
[/quote]

Yes I do, and I'll explain why - It all starting this morning when the current mrs discreet asked me what I wanted for breakfast. I thought she had said something about bacon, so you can imagine my surprise when she appeared at the kitchen door wearing only a thin... (cont. p94).

Welcome to the forum Waz, I think Skank is just about spot-on with his summary. Priced decently you should get a fair bit of interest on here, though it may be a bit slow as the whole market seems to be at present, plenty of Fender lovers on on here, me being one.

Nice! If its not a refin this might give you an idea :D
[url="http://www.vintageandrare.com/product/Fender-Precision-P-bass-1978-Natural-34785"]http://www.vintageandrare.com/product/Fender-Precision-P-bass-1978-Natural-34785[/url]

Hi all.
Took these yesterday.[attachment=164166:WP_20140601_007.jpg][attachment=164167:WP_20140601_008.jpg][attachment=164168:WP_20140601_009.jpg][attachment=164169:WP_20140601_012.jpg][attachment=164170:WP_20140601_013.jpg]

That's a gorgeous P-bass, sorry to hear about the circumstances under which it came into your possession.

My brother has the same 'mod' to the pickguard around the output jack on his old P-copy: a bit of perspex to replace the bit that got cracked when he dropped it with the cable plugged in! I assume yours has a similar story.

Hi Nick. Thanks. Cant answer that I`m afraid, though if its happened to your brothers,that sound most probable. Or possibly got done at a gig. All I can recall, its been that way for years. Undecided whether to replace it or not before it gets sold. Any Thought from anyone gratefully received.
Steve

[quote name='waz23' timestamp='1401702887' post='2465904']
Undecided whether to replace it or not before it gets sold.
[/quote]

Speaking only for myself, I'd leave the guard in place. Replacing it means removing some 'originality' which might (technically) devalue the bass in the opinion of some cork-sniffers. You'd also need to get a new guard that exactly matches the existing drill holes, which is a bit of a faff.

Also, IMO, it's an honest repair and adds 'vintage mojo'. Let the buyer decide what they want to do about it - they might even fancy putting a black guard on it. ;)

Edited by skankdelvar