Why become a member? ×

Bass sound inconsistency?

I am guessing it can only be the humidity and ambient temperature as - unless you have guts - the strings will not shift and the scale length stays the same so the only variables have to do with the wood and the air mass within the body

Anytime my upright sounds dull and a little lifeless it's usually after I haven't played it for a week or more. Could be down to a few things - finger strength usually isn't so good after a little break so that could affect tone. Another thing I've found is that after a day or two of bowing, the bass will come back to life quite noticeably. So - KEEP PLAYING!!!!

I'm assuming that in each case the bass was played in the same room in the same location? I've found that the bass will sound differently in different locations depending on sound reflections / absorption within a room.

Just a thought...

Yeah I usually practise in the same room because my bass sounds better in that room, so it wasn't the room.

Gareth: I've heard that bowing the bass will open up the sound but I haven't tried it because I am terrible at it and the dog really doesn't like it! I have been practising regularly though so it hasn't been neglected.

Ignore the I'm terrible at it until you're not. ;) Not being sarcy there - bowing isn't the easiest thing to get your head around, but it's also not the hardest. The tricky part is getting the concept, then the practice becomes easier. The concept is to cradle the bow in your hand, not hold it tightly - and letting the weight of your arm move the string. Much in the same way that ones foot is flexible while kicking a ball whilst the strength comes from the leg muscles. (Or so I'm told, not being remotely sporty at all)

*edit* - and seriously, ignore the terrible part. Even just bowing for a while, irrelevant of the sound produced, is good for getting the bass to open up. The vibrations are the main thing.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

I read this a couple of days ago and that day my bass was being an absolute pig that day! I think the recent hot and wet weather has really affected it.
It was incredibly hard work no matter how long I played it for. Some days you just have to work really hard for your sound, though I do wish my adjusters were able to go lower now (unfortunately they are bottomed out and it's what I would deem medium high (thanks luthier, I'll go elsewhere next time!)