Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Bash Sun 5 Oct 11.00-5.00 - Risley Park Hotel, Derby Road, Risley DE72 3SS

Owen

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1401982456' post='2468896']
Well done for that initiative. Any chance someone might post a video of some of the proceedings for us in outer darkness?
[/quote]

Dont suppose your anywhere near the Galway area ?? .... A mate of mine has just moved out there..... he is a guitarist (but dont hold that against him lol) but he is going to buy a DB......

Obviously it'll be cool just to put faces and basses to Basschat handles, but having never been involved in something of this ilk before, what are people going to want to do once congragated? Besides standing about looking at one another's awesome instruments (said in best "Carry On" voice). Can we all go and get double bass-themed tattoos?

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1401986423' post='2468962']
ysee now its in black and white Im thinking I should really make the effort.
[/quote]

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc208/DMurder138/bass-1.jpg

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1401986080' post='2468958']
Dont suppose your anywhere near the Galway area ?? .... A mate of mine has just moved out there..... he is a guitarist (but dont hold that against him lol) but he is going to buy a DB......
[/quote]

Unfortunately I'm over 4 hrs from Galway (4hrs from anywhere, it seems sometime :)). Your pal is lucky though, there's a very good bass builder in Galway.

http://doublebassireland.com/about-us

Lots of great music too. When he gets his bass he'll have a blast. :)

Been looking at this thread but I agree with fellow Londoners - we'll have to have a Southern DB Bash. In the meantime, tomorrow I'll tweet the Northern Bash with details.

I've pinned this topic - could the OP please edit the title to mention date and place? Thanks :)

Edit: Excellent, thanks Owen! :)

Edited by bluejay

Exciting times! Group tattoos - obv this will happen. Also a warm smug feeling that we play the king of all instruments.

What do I want out of it? I guess I want to try other DBs and also other amps and stuff, just to see. You can try most planks in shops, but to try out DB specific stuff is virtually impossible. I would like a swing at a bass strung with Gut strings. I would like to try a bass through a BF Generation 3 cab. I am more than happy with my DB (I never suffer from DB GAS) but would love to perhaps get a good DB luthier in who might advise/work on setups. I live in the back of beyond and it is impossible to get any access to a luthier who actually has a real handle on what makes a DB tick. Could mine be tweaked? Possibly but I just do not know. Would people rolling in be willing to shovel some extra money at a luthier or could we entice one in with bookable time slots so individuals would cover that aspect? I dunno. I'm sure between us there is enough expertise to do some workshop type stuff. I would be more than happy to spend some time with beginners just to give pointers about various aspects of technique. I am not proposing to do a workshop in front of everyone but would happily just do half an hour in a corner if anyone really wanted help. Obviously this would not be anything like as useful as a decent set of lessons, but it could not hurt. Someone mentioned they could do the slap thing. I would love a 10 minute session just showing me the mechanics of that.

What would everyone else like to see?

I will throw a 5 string DB, 5 string EUB, 5 string bass Uke, an AI head, a FDeck preamp and an ACME 12" cab onto the floor. What else might appear?

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1401995021' post='2469109']
Unfortunately I'm over 4 hrs from Galway (4hrs from anywhere, it seems sometime :)). Your pal is lucky though, there's a very good bass builder in Galway.

[url="http://doublebassireland.com/about-us"]http://doublebassireland.com/about-us[/url]

Lots of great music too. When he gets his bass he'll have a blast. :)
[/quote]

Thanks... I will let him know B)

Adding to the pain of exclusion, I note I was born about half an hour from the venue. Little did I know that in my far distant future would be a DB Bash from which i would be barred, thus missing out on the only Group Tat a chap would ever need. :(

Edited by fatback

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1402072040' post='2469818']
Only just spotted it's on a Sunday, which makes the drive back to Cardiff prohibitive on a school night ... :(
[/quote]

It's motorway all the way so about three hours. I think my record for a gig is Hull-Glasgow :)

Steve

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1402233063' post='2471180']
I'll come along, and bring my gigging Gedo 'blonde'.
[/quote]

Excellent, I've been looking forward to seeing it after you were telling me about it at last month's Midlands Bash.

I haven't got a proper upright (at the moment.. ;) ) just a Stagg EUB, but I can bring along my generation 1 Barefaced Big One cabinet for folks to have a try.

I'd be interested in trying out different amps. I will bring my 50 watt Nemesis Eden bass amp which is a fine little amp. I would particularly like to try Acoustic Image stuff and I'd also like to learn about sound checks. I've always used the bassist's amp at open mic nights but will very soon be venturing into performing with a proper band. Lounge jazz stuff, small venues and some open air garden fete things. Any advice would be very welcome!

I can bring a Genz Benz Stl 3.0 10T amp (so the really little one) and a converted L/H Stagg EUB if anyone cares, and either a steel-strung L/H Strunal 50/4 or a L/H Duke 2-Tone. I'm happy to bring either if anyone has a burning desire to play a L/H version of either