Why become a member? ×

The best customer service ever!

nugget

I couldn’t decide if this should go in the Innovation sub folder but that seems more about the trial sets so I thought I’d pop it in here so more might see it.

1[sup]st[/sup] off I’m a bit of a DB novice but play loads and already playing in a rock n roll / rockabilly band and a jazzy acoustic 3 piece. I don’t have much experience with DB strings but wanted to share my thoughts…

When I got my bass (carved top ply body) it came with Helicore strings can the sound to me was nothing like I was after, far too bright and not enough soul so I read all I could and listened to what I could find and plumped for a set of Innovation rockabilly.

When I fitted them the tone was pretty much exactly what I had in my head, lovely tone, great warm presence and not bright like the helicores. BUT the G was noticeably stiffer than D&A and the E was sounding pretty dead especially around the A note and tension was slacker than D&A, I know different DB’s do react differently to strings so I know this is just down to my bass and not the quality of the strings. I emailed Daf at innovation and I just gotta say he was amazing!

He sent out (at no charge, but to be returned at some point) a slap G and a replacement E to try. The slap G suited my bass much better and the tension was perfect match for the D&A but the E was just the same, so it wasn’t a duff string. I emailed Daf again thanking him for the G but still having problems with E, Daf suggested that the problem was probably the soundpost causing ghost notes on the E but he sent me out an ultra black E to try, again at no charge, to try and match tension. This setup now has totally perfect balanced tension and the tone is crazy good,

What 100% amazing customer service from Daf Being a bit of a DB novice I was concerned about the problems being me rather than the strings, but with thanks to Daf’s help I’m so happy and playing even more! The nicest and most helpful person I’ve met for a long time.

Nugget