Why become a member? ×

Edumacate a numpty about light gauge strings please

I've never used light gauge strings on bass, but due to not getting any younger I thought it was worth investigating options which might reduce wear and tear on the finger joints and tendons and lower the risk of playing related injury. I'm ready to abandon my dogma of old dead heavyish strings and medium action in favour of working smarter rather than harder.

Looking at some of the string sets available, the gauges are much lower than the 45-125 5 string set currently on my RBX(35" scale), a 30-110 set is at first glance just the gauges I'm using now detuned by a perfect fourth with the extra .030 for the G string.

I experimented by detuning my existing EADG strings by a fourth, and the E tuned down to B was subjectively better than the thicker B string, and the amount of fretting hand effort was much less across all strings, but the ADG strings did feel too floppy and sounded muddier when down tuned, so plus for comfort and minus for tone.

Do light gauge strings use a different contruction (different diameter core & wraps) to avoid getting too slack and flubby at the lower pitches, and is durability and string life affected?

Opinions/recomendations etc welcomed

I find lighter gauge strings sound a bit thinner in tone, to my ear anyway. You might like to look at the tension of strings as opposed to gauge. You can get similar gauges with Thomastik strings but they are lighter tension. Tone and price are not to everyone's taste though. Even some black nylon wrapped strings might suit you. They tend to be lighter tension. Might need some adjustment to the nut though.

You might like to look into the picking style of players like Gary Willis and Janek Gwizdala as well. Their approach has a lighter picking action but a loader amp setting. They still use the gauges of strings you do.

Edited by BassBus

You should have an extra .005" per string (assuming the gauges are 30, 50, 70, 90, 110) than the strings you're downtuning where you perceive a problem and I think the .005" is what increments from light to medium, and medium to heavy so they might not be as bad as you fear. Secondly you might have a look at how your bass is set-up, specifically the existing nut slot depths (are they at the recommended depths - many basses from new have slots that are too high) and obviously relief and saddle height because they might be improved in terms of making the bass easier to play (fret).

Edited by HowieBass

Ay up to a fellow Yorkshireman! (Or at least a man who currently resides in Yorkshire).

Nowt wrong with trying a different string gauge to see if it works for you, but if you want to save your fingers try turning up the pre and maybe power amps and play with a lighter touch, as BassBus suggested. I started doing this over the last year and it makes a huge difference. Should enable you to have a lower action as well.

I used to believe playing with a bit of welly gives better tone, but it really doesn't. Not IMO anyway.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1401806038' post='2467057']
I've never used light gauge strings on bass, but due to not getting any younger I thought it was worth investigating options which might reduce wear and tear on the finger joints and tendons and lower the risk of playing related injury. I'm ready to abandon my dogma of old dead heavyish strings and medium action in favour of working smarter rather than harder.

Looking at some of the string sets available, the gauges are much lower than the 45-125 5 string set currently on my RBX(35" scale), a 30-110 set is at first glance just the gauges I'm using now detuned by a perfect fourth with the extra .030 for the G string.

I experimented by detuning my existing EADG strings by a fourth, and the E tuned down to B was subjectively better than the thicker B string, and the amount of fretting hand effort was much less across all strings, but the ADG strings did feel too floppy and sounded muddier when down tuned, so plus for comfort and minus for tone.

Do light gauge strings use a different contruction (different diameter core & wraps) to avoid getting too slack and flubby at the lower pitches, and is durability and string life affected?

Opinions/recomendations etc welcomed
[/quote]

As you found out, you can down tune a string pretty far and still have it hold a tune, but as you also found out, it doesn't sound the best. Strings are designed to be tuned to certain notes. Think of it like the rev range on your car - low down, it works, but there's no power. High up, it works, but it sounds dangerous :D in the middle is where it's designed to work, much like with the strings.

You can certainly use lighter strings, although there are 2 things to bear in mind - difference in tone, and ability to down tune.

Firstly, they sound different (noticeably so, going from 45s to 30s). You might lose some bass end, although, this might not be such an issue for a 5 string (I tend to find the B string a bit muddy anyway). Secondly, you won't be able to down tune as far. Maybe a semitone or a whole tone on each string. But if down tuning isn't your thing anyway, just get the lightest set you can find.