Why become a member? ×

My unorthodox fingerstyle / nail style technique

bass2345

A while ago, as a beginner, I developed a technique which I call 'unorthodox fingerstyle'. Its kind of a cross between what is conventionally called fingerstyle and pick style. Let me explain. Basically what I do is up and downstrokes, as you would with a pick, but using the nail of my index finger rather than a pick. I find this quicker and easier than conventional finger style and pick style, although I haven't practiced pickstyle much.

Is this a good way to play, and, more importantly, is it safe? Do I risk getting a repetitive strain injury or something else bad by playing like this?

If it works for you then it's a good way to play, for you. The only concern I would have is the chance of ripping your finger nail off if you really dig in. Classical guitarists use their finger nails to pick strings so why not bass players.

I sometimes use my index finger nail instead of a pick, downstrokes only but have found that if I play too much it can wear the end of the nail making it thinner (it obviously isn't as tough as a hard plastic or nylon plectrum) which could become a problem were I to carry on that way. I prefer the sound to a pick though I generally play conventional fingerstyle.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1401873155' post='2467623']
Check this out with Chuck Rainey. Is your method like this?
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gZC_jSyUmjQ#t=43"]http://www.youtube.c...ZC_jSyUmjQ#t=43[/url]
[/quote]

I think it's similar, if not the same, only using one finger, not two.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1401864231' post='2467530']
If it works for you then it's a good way to play, for you. The only concern I would have is the chance of ripping your finger nail off if you really dig in. Classical guitarists use their finger nails to pick strings so why not bass players.
[/quote]

Bass strings are a bit larger and harder to move than a nylon strung classical guitar :) .

But I agree. it sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me.

I can't see it being quicker than a standard 2 finger approach, but then again I can't actually see you doing it, so I may be wrong. Personally though I'd be worried about doing some damage to my finger nail.

Edited by ambient

I use my finger nails on the downstroke, sort of raking it along the strings. Only when I'm doing big, distorted power chords, but it saves me trying to grab a pick and means I can enjoy making massive amounts of filthy noise. Which is nice.

Closer inspection reveals noticeable wear on the nail, but I've been doing it for years, and it's never been a problem. I catch all kinds of hell when I go for a manicure though... ;)

I remember seeing one of those Hot Locks videos with a bass player (I can't remember his name, long haired rocker chap in a wheelchair) that would hold the tip of his index finger between his middle finger and thumb, leaving a few millimetres sticking out, that he would use as you would a pick.

I sometimes use a banjo picking style on bass, and will use my finger nails. I actually keep them short and use the tips of the nails with my fingers curled up, with an upward pluck. I find this useful when using a pick, too. Hold the pick between finger and thumb, as usual, and use the middle and ring finger for plucking. It's a good way of getting clean chord sounds.