Why become a member? ×

NBD - Limelight Jazz Bass 1960 YOB *Spitfire Guard!*

discreet

I was just about to write that it's nice to see some real life relicing there as you said it was YOB (not heard of limelight before), fooled me until I read on!
That looks amazing! Congrats on the new addition :)

A grand you say?

THUMP!!

(cue Mrs. 'tone running for the smelling salts)

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1401956256' post='2468578']
Looks great Mark. if I can make one tiny suggestion? A real tort plate from spitfire-whatever-his-name-is (check out the "wheer has all the decenttort gone" thread) would make your bass complete and IMHO indistinguishable from a real McCoy.
[/quote]

Already there mate, but thanks! :)
As soon as I saw the genuine 1960 pic I realised that a Spitfire tort pg would have to be next on the list!

Edited by discreet

I guess my question was really "how much of it is made from scratch" - it's what I'm judging the price by. Obviously not the tort or metal work.

If the answer is "almost all of the wood items and by hand" then that's pretty good value plus you get what you want

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1401970963' post='2468772']
If he can make me one of [url="http://www.webuyguitars.org/store/proddetail.php?prod=f12jb1005&cat=27"]these[/url], I think I'll be getting one!
[/quote]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ooh, lovely. Well this legend appears on Mark's website:[/font][/size]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]'Limelight Basses - If you would like a bass made to your own individual specification (such as colour, era, amount of relicing, etc) please contact me to discuss.'[/size][/font]

[url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses.htm"]http://www.classican...o.uk/basses.htm[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1401904702' post='2468176']
Fabulous looks fantastic does he do slab '66 P basses or Telebasses do you know?
[/quote]

Never seen a Limelight Telebass but he has previously made a slab P.
I've bought oand sold to Mark on many occasions and will echo what has already been said - he's a top bloke. In fact a while ago he offered me a Limelight bass as a trade, just when they first started making them. Due to fear of the unknown I declined... Twinges of regret now! I love that Pino-a-like on his website.

If he can make me one of [url="http://www.webuyguitars.org/store/proddetail.php?prod=f12jb1005&cat=27"]these[/url], I think I'll be getting one!
[/quote]

That's lovely. It's just a shame about the bad photoshopping ruining the pics!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401911649' post='2468302']
So a YOB Jazz is not an option, for historical reasons! :)
[/quote]

Yes... I'll settle for a Precision... I have a 62 Jazz, that will have to do.

That sonic jazz is my all time fave tho' but.

Does yours have the hump? Just curious as to the level of detail.

Edited by bh2

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401904195' post='2468168']
[b]NBD - Limelight Fender Jazz 1960 YOB[/b]

Won't get my sweaty mitts on this for a couple of weeks yet, but I thought what the hell - I'm sure you'd like to see some pics of it. Year Of Birth Jazz Bass - 1960. Needless to say I'm happy with the result. ;)

FYI - it was ready about six weeks before I was expecting it. Mark at Limelight is an absolute pleasure to deal with and nothing is too much trouble for him. One of life's good blokes. They are few and far between, as you know.

Anyway I'll shut up and let the pictures do the talking...

[/quote]

Looks knackered to me. Ask for a refund.

Hang on a minute , 1960? That's ancient ! I bet you can remember when young people thought Noel Edmonds was cool and what life was like before Pot Noodles were invented. I love hearing stories about the olden days . Maybe you could get involved in some kind of an oral history project while you have still got all your chairs at home, so to speak?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1401978935' post='2468844']
Hang on a minute , 1960? That's ancient ! I bet you can remember when young people thought Noel Edmonds was cool and what life was like before Pot Noodles were invented. I love hearing stories about the olden days . Maybe you could get involved in some kind of an oral history project while you have still got all your chairs at home, so to speak?
[/quote]

I can remember when [i]Noel Edmonds[/i] was a young person, even! And yes, I remember life before Pot Noodles, mobile phones, fracking, twerking, the internet, teabagging, Arabian goggles and the reverse cowboy.

Chairs..? What chairs?? Where's that kid with my meds..? Hehhehhhuu (mumbles).

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1401978935' post='2468844']
Maybe you could get involved in some kind of an oral history project while you have still got all your chairs at home, so to speak?
[/quote]

The only kind of oral history going on in the '70s that I know of, is the kind I would NOT want to get involved with...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401957337' post='2468590']

Already there mate, but thanks! :)
As soon as I saw the genuine 1960 pic I realised that a Spitfire tort pg would have to be next on the list!
[/quote]
Closely followed by the ashtrays of course?! ;)

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1401986019' post='2468957']
Closely followed by the ashtrays of course?! ;)
[/quote]

Mmm, no. I don't get on with them - they tend to be right where I want to play... :)

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1401995790' post='2469120']
hope your as happy with your yob jazz as I am with my Limelight yob Jazz. They do sound as good as they look ...if you know what I mean :o
[/quote]

That's good to know Mart, thanks... I'll do a review when I finally get my hands on it. Fnarr.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401996116' post='2469128']

Mmm, no. I don't get on with them - they tend to be right where I want to play... :)

That's good to know Mart, thanks... I'll do a review when I finally get my hands on it. Fnarr.
[/quote]
Well that's fair enough Mr Discreet :) it's not to everyone's tastes :) but it makes the bass look better ;)

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1401999490' post='2469181']
Well that's fair enough Mr Discreet :) it's not to everyone's tastes :) but it makes the bass look better ;)
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of them. They're just not practical and if you don't have them fitted they go missing quicker than a Gregg's Steak Bake at a WeightWatchers meeting. I could Photoshop some on for you if you like..? ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401999914' post='2469188']
Don't get me wrong, I love the look of them. They're just not practical and if you don't have them fitted they go missing quicker than a Gregg's Steak Bake at a WeightWatchers meeting. I could Photoshop some on for you if you like..? ;)
[/quote]
Yep, not much use unless you're James Jamerson - he used to rest his 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers on his Precision's pickup cover and pick just with his first, aka 'the hook':

I expect this approach could me made to work with a Jazz, but I prefer the freedom of the picking area.

Edited by JapanAxe

[/quote]

So are you going to take the plunge?? I think we should be told! :)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1402091364' post='2470085']
Any idea when you'll get it?
[/quote]

Not being sent until Tuesday 24th, as Mark has selfishly announced he'll be away for while. Tsk! :rolleyes: [size=4] :P ;)[/size]
[size=4]I shall relish the wait and my wobblers will wibble with expectation.[/size]