Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Mibass 2.0 problems

mike_b

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Ashown MiBass 2.0 head and 2 of the Mibass 10" cabs to use as a lightweight setup - been using it at home and have had no issues whatsoever.

I used it for the first time live last night and encountered some issues - set up all fine, but once the rig had been D.I'd my cabs kept cutting in and out, and I could only have the output at around 2/3 to stop this - very frustrating as it meant I couldn't be heard at all! The sound engineer said my amp was on its last legs, which I told him is a shock to me as its brand new!

Once I get home from work tonight I'll have a play around with it and see if the same thing happens, and if it is the head or one (or both) of the cabs that are playing up - could it be just when it's D.I'd this happens, has anyone else experienced this with theirs? I was using an Music Man Ray34 last night, I read that sometimes active basses can affect the output or this is just a load of rubbish?

Any answers or help would be greatly appreciated, as obviously i've invested a lot into it and hope it is a fixable problem! Thanks in advance!

Had a play around with it this evening and can't figure out if its either the head or the cabs, because as soon as I turn the output past 12 o'clock on the head it starts cutting in and out again, and does the same if only one cab is plugged in - am hopefully taking it to the shop I bought it from Saturday to show them and get it fixed/ replaced, will keep you updated

I've experience the same problem before but it was not a Ashdown amp and is not my amp either. Was giging and use other bands equipment, the bass amp was a Trace Elliot 1x15 combo (gibson version I think). The amp was cutting in and out at start but the DI signal still works so the audience can hear the bass but I can't hear jack all on stage. Some how the sound came back on after awhile and it stay their till I finish my set.

Hmm strange, yeah mine was slightly different as both the D.I and cabs were cutting out together. Spoke to Ashdown and the guy there said there was a dealer product recall on the MiBass heads due to 'minor fault', guess mine was one that fell through the net... Andertons where I purchased it from are arranging for a courier to pick it up for repair and delivery pack to me, so hopefully once I get it back the issue will be resolved :)

Both the cabs are 8ohm, head is 4ohm minimum so that shouln't be an issue. As soon as I mentioned it to the guy at Ashdown he said there was a dealer recall on these and said to get in touch with Andertons to get it repaired, so its probably something Ashdown know about and are able to fix

• 3 weeks later...

Had the same problem with mine, identical set up.
I sent it back to be repaired, started the process here >> http://ashdownmusic.com/support/technical/
Pretty swift and painless.
Annoying to have to send anything back so soon, but they'll sort you right out, they do a 5 year warranty on their amps!

Also, I'd be keen to hear how you get on with this set up live, I'm not gigging at all at the moment, would be nice to hear if the set up works well, feel free to PM or whatever about it if you have time mate, and good luck with the fix :)

Eude

[quote name='jgmh315' timestamp='1404742106' post='2495270']
Came back today repaired, fault gone, extremely loud now. Will give it a go at band practice tomorrow.
[/quote]

Good stuff :)
What cabs are you using with it?

[quote name='jgmh315' timestamp='1404744023' post='2495293']
Using a Genz Benz focus 1x15. Haven't found another to go with it yet, not making them anymore I believe.
Been using a TC BG250 which is plenty loud enough for me at the moment.
[/quote]

Nice one mate, I'm sure one of them will pop up eventually, have heard good things about them, shame Genz Benz have been dissolved...

Looks like this a know issue as I contacted them and had no problems in returning it for repair like you guys, mines due back today so i'll let you know how it sounds.

Could possibly be using this for a gig Friday, if I do i'll let you know what I think :)

[quote name='mike_b' timestamp='1404745777' post='2495320']
Looks like this a know issue as I contacted them and had no problems in returning it for repair like you guys, mines due back today so i'll let you know how it sounds.

Could possibly be using this for a gig Friday, if I do i'll let you know what I think :)
[/quote]

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the whole rig mate :)

Band practice Tuesday the head (played through the studios Ashdown 4x10) was perfect all night. Seemed a lot louder than before, only needed to get to just under half way and that was with two guitars and a loud drummer.