Why become a member? ×

Moment's Notice Bass Solo

basscell

I saw this the other day and forgot to comment. There is a lot to commend it but can I suggest you included the head in the performance next time? It gives the listener a handle on where the harmony is going and, without that, it is just finger wiggling. Although I know the tune (played it on a gig last Sunday, in fact), I struggled to hear the chords you were playing against. Anyone who doesn't know the tune would be lost.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1402481845' post='2473920']
I saw this the other day and forgot to comment. There is a lot to commend it but can I suggest you included the head in the performance next time? It gives the listener a handle on where the harmony is going and, without that, it is just finger wiggling. Although I know the tune (played it on a gig last Sunday, in fact), I struggled to hear the chords you were playing against. Anyone who doesn't know the tune would be lost.
[/quote]

Thank you for your comments, and you're absolutely right.

I left out the head for reasons of economy. Just assumed anyone working on the same tune knows the head and would consider it while listening to this.
When performing live, of course I would never do this. Knowing the melody is just as important as knowing the progression, bassists included.

Also showing off my W&T a little :)

Edited by basscell

• 4 months later...