Why become a member? ×

8x10

cclowend

If you've read through the "Amps & Cabs" section recently, then you'll know that speaker cone size alone is no indication of the frequency range of a cab; and that mixing different speaker sizes without a crossover to split the frequencies handled by each size is generally thought to be a bad thing.

As others have said - it's more than just speaker size, give it a go & see what it's like.

I wouldn't just sell the 1x15" - the 4x10+1x15 combo is a classic (that I used to enjoy very much) & if it's giving you the sound you want then you'd may as well stick with it.

I have never tried 8x10 but it is a classic set up, I loved 2x15 and 4x10 and 1x15 sounds but the best sound I ever had was from a Mesa Boogie 1516 which was something along the lines of 1x15, 1x12, 2x8 and a horn, the closest I can get now would be 6x10 I may try it on Sunday

I hope you 8x10 set up sounds great...just think only 2 4x10's to carry!

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1401988209' post='2468989']
had a 115 and 410 for years. Got rid of the 15 and never looked back, 2 x 410 will sound huge!
[/quote]
I had 2 x 410 for years. Sold them and got 2 x 115 and never looked back. Much bigger & more rounded sound, with just as much top end bite as before.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1401993322' post='2469079']
I'm in the 2 x 410 camp as well. Sounds great, my favourite large rig!
[/quote]
Ampeg 8x10 seems to be standard issue to many pro/chart bass players when they take to the stage.

That went well. The sound was so mammoth that the keyboard player we were auditioning said she had never heard such an awesome sound in her life!!! It truly blew away the 4x10/1x15 setup by a country mile. I may just use the 1x15 as an occasional table! Truly astounding and soooooo subby!

Yep, doubling up on cabs I find very rewarding. Have had the 210/115 set-ups, and used 410/115, but I`ve now found that getting a cab you like, then adding another is the best way to getting a really great sound. The 2 x 410 must be great - individually each speaker probably not all that bassy, but all eight at once, yum!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1402010581' post='2469296']
Yep, doubling up on cabs I find very rewarding. Have had the 210/115 set-ups, and used 410/115, but I`ve now found that getting a cab you like, then adding another is the best way to getting a really great sound. The 2 x 410 must be great - individually each speaker probably not all that bassy, but all eight at once, yum!
[/quote]
Hmm maybe I should start saving money for a second 412 then.
Drums will murderize me! :D

Used to have a 1x15 combo linked to a 4x10 ext speaker but for the sake of my back i downsized to a 2x10 and kept the 1x15 combo, sounds fine to me. I used an Ampeg head with 2 4x10 ampeg cabs at a jam session last night. Thought it sounded a bit rubbish tbh considering the ridiculous size of it all. One size def not fitting all in the backline dept as usual.

After all the information that has been posted on Basschat about speakers and cab design by some very knowledgable contributors, I find it astounding that people still think that the sound of a rig is mostly dependent upon the cone size(s) of the speaker(s) in them.

IME every cab sounds different and while cone size does have an effect it's just a part of all the factors that go to make up the "sound" of that cab. From what I've seen and heard I would say that cab size, and design is more important than the cone size of the speakers it's loaded with.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1402043409' post='2469408']
After all the information that has been posted on Basschat about speakers and cab design by some very knowledgable contributors, I find it astounding that people still think that the sound of a rig is mostly dependent upon the cone size(s) of the speaker(s) in them.

IME every cab sounds different and while cone size does have an effect it's just a part of all the factors that go to make up the "sound" of that cab. From what I've seen and heard I would say that cab size, and design is more important than the cone size of the speakers it's loaded with.
[/quote]

Absolutely...probably also why some 4x10s work quite well with some 1x15s, if they have been designed that way. It doesn't always work out well though.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1402043409' post='2469408']
After all the information that has been posted on Basschat about speakers and cab design by some very knowledgable contributors, I find it astounding that [...]
[/quote]

Very simple though. Some are new here, some don't visit often, some read very little in the amps&cabs section, some rather ask than do a search.
I, for instance, could suddenly be found to ask a "stupid" question about recording just because I'd easily forget that a recording section actually exists - me never reaching those low parts of BC.

Nothing astounding about it, but I do think we could somewhat more often point to the answers that are already given, in a friendly way mind, rather than carefully explaining it all yet one more time.
Personally, I try to avoid "RTFM" and "Do an effing search fer cryin' out loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", even though it's easy to be charmed into writing exactly that.