Why become a member? ×

Herts Bash 2 - The Precision Test

Lozz196

Updated:

1. Biaeothanata-Bassist - 2009 MIJ Steve Harris sig, SPB-4 signature Steve Harris pups, Maple, D'Addario Nickel rounds
2. The Greek - US 78, standard pups, maple
3. Jonnyboy Rotten - Squier, SD QPs, rosewood
4. Hertsbass - US 2012, standard CS pups, maple
5. Grand Wazoo - Dingwall PJ5, Dingwall pups, maple / Ibanez P/J 1984 super super bass (yes 2x super wait til you try)
6. Charic - MIM 2006, SD QPs, maple
7. Seashell - MIM, standard pups, rosewood.
8. Balcro - Encore; own-brand p/u; Made in Korea (probably); Elite Stadium 45-105 rounds; maple.
9. Bottle - Squier Precision Special, standard p/u's, Fender #7350 roundwound strings, rosewood fretless
10. Jazzneck - Squier CV 51, SD Basslines, Maple
11. Grangur - Gear4Music LA bass - rosewood board, standard pups

As there's the Encore in there as the nominal cheepie, I can offer a Warwick PJ Streamer as an alternative to the Gear4Music if you'd prefer. It can be played passive with the P-pup only?

It sounds loads better than the G4M.

[quote name='Biaeothanata-Bassist' timestamp='1403786793' post='2486346']
So glad i offered mine up and it just got ignored on page 1! :P
[/quote]

I`m compiling a list at home as well, and your Steve Harris is most def on it - looking forward to playing/hearing it.

Grangur, yes by all means bring the Warwick Streamer.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1403892150' post='2487529']

Added on my list Gary, will update the post on here over the wkend.
[/quote]

Lozz, I have 2 (potentially non-qualifying) Precisions but can only bring one. Which would you prefer to add?

Fender Deluxe Active P (Rosewood, ACTIVE and no option to play passive)

Or

Fender Mark Hoppus 'Precision'/Jazz bass (bearing in mind there are already a couple of basses with QP's)

Edited by theyellowcar

Hoppus please, am trying to keep to passive, plus the pickups are "reversed" aren`t they? Shoul have a nice bearing on the tone methinks (plus have always wanted to hear that configuration anyway :)).

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1404338409' post='2491810']
Hoppus please, am trying to keep to passive, plus the pickups are "reversed" aren`t they? Shoul have a nice bearing on the tone methinks (plus have always wanted to hear that configuration anyway :)).
[/quote]

They are indeed! Consider it done.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1404668816' post='2494591']
You really won't believe the outcome...Lozz is probably keeping you in suspense deliberately...if you'd come you wouldn't have to wait
[/quote]
Was it the Rickenbacker that came out top? lol

OK, enough suspenders :lol: :rolleyes:
Here is the message from Lozz and a JPG file of the table (hope the latter is legible enough). They will both reappear on my blog in due course :)

[quote]Well today, at the second Herts Bass Bash, I had the honour/pleasure of presenting a Precision Challenge! Many of us Basschatters have opinions on Precisions, so the theory was, let the ears make the decision, not the eyes or hands. So I got to play a bunch of Precisions - some rather tasty ones as well I might add, plus a couple of curve-balls to see if people were paying attention.

So, playing each bass in turn - Down In The Tube Station by The Jam for pick-style, Hello Happiness by The Drifters for finger-style, This Is Not A Love Song by PIL for slap-style, and London Calling by The Clash played together with a drum-machine for an "in the mix" sound.

From there, everyone chose their 1st, 2nd & 3rd faves, based on what they`d just heard. The below shows the results, and we had a runaway leader, a Ferrari in a skateboard race is my reckoning. Many congratulations to The Yellow Car for winning so easily. I should add that I couldn`t even get my own beloved `78 into the top three!

And, seeing as there has always been the maple/rosewood debate, as a bit of fun we simply had a chosse which you reckon each bass was. And the results were good, with two winners, Gary Mac and Herts Bass guessing 8 out of 12 correctly. Extra smart*rse points go to Gary for correctly identifying my `78 just by my playing. Good ears there Gary.

Thanks to Mrs Grangur for assisting on this challenge, her help was much appreciated and enabled the whole process to flow easily.

Thanks also to Mick (The Greek) for being the main organiser of the event, Sylvia (Bluejay) for the blog and inevitable pics :lol: , Sibob for his (many) pedals, Dr of The Bass for the session on modes, and lastly thanks to all who came along, yet again another good Bass Bash was had by all.

Cheers
Lozz196[/quote]

So against the expectations of most of those involved and probably everybody here the Mark Hoppus with Seymour Duncans blew away the competition - as expected as Costa Rica reaching the last 8 in the World Cup but believe it, it happened!!!

Interesting to see whether the results would be replicated at other Bashes...where and when's the next??