Why become a member? ×

Herts Bash 2 - The Precision Test

Lozz196

Thanks for doing this. I was looking forward to the results.
I think shares in MIM should skyrocket if you post the results on talkbass. At least it was an all Fender top 5 :)
Sounds like you guys had fun doing it as well.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1404681420' post='2494731']
Electrics make the biggest difference...all else is aesthetics, playing pleasure and mythos ;)
[/quote]

So it would seem! The runaway winner was the only bass with non-standard pickups. Very interesting.
Well done to all concerned for organising this, quite a surprising result I'd say..!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1404678122' post='2494682']
Maybe get someone to do a Jazz version at some point?
[/quote]

That's the logical next step, isn't it? I wonder if we'd see a similar outcome - or perhaps the dynamics of two pickups would result in a totally different conclusion..? There's only one way to find out!! Fight!! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1404681420' post='2494731']
So it's the age old simple answer that...

Electrics make the biggest difference...all else is aesthetics, playing pleasure and mythos ;)
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404682589' post='2494745']
So it would seem! The runaway winner was the only bass with non-standard pickups. Very interesting.
Well done to all concerned for organising this, quite a surprising result I'd say..!
[/quote]

I like mythos :) and aesthetics and I love 'playing pleasure' :)

Video of one of the 12 tests performed by Lozz, just to show how he did them. There would have been no point in recording all the tests, as the camera's sound facility is not good enough to show the subtle differences between basses.

[url="http://youtu.be/51F3S4NVLmQ"]http://youtu.be/51F3S4NVLmQ[/url]

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1404722058' post='2494918']
Video of one of the 12 tests performed by Lozz, just to show how he did them. There would have been no point in recording all the tests, as the camera's sound facility is not good enough to show the subtle differences between basses.

[media]http://youtu.be/51F3S4NVLmQ[/media]
[/quote]
and that was the winner, think Lozz said that was bass number 2 at the end.
Thought it sounded nice as well.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1404734023' post='2495128']
Really surprised! The later MIM basses clearly ahead of the vintage Fenders! How bizarre.

I'm not sure whether I'm surprised or not to see Dingwall near the bottom. Maybe not 'Fendery' enough?
[/quote]

Yes, regrettably it was set on the J pickup and as there were far too many controls on there for my puny brain, I didn`t realise - as never played a Dingwall before. Sure it would have made a difference if set to P.

I don't think it's quite as clear cut as that, as we were all scoring off our own preferences and with significant variation in string age (and some diff types).

What I felt was remarkable was that going through the test some of the basses really sounded 'vintage', whilst others were more modern - and some horribly bright.

I happened to pick the Hoppus as my favourite because it was warm and clear and well rounded - the sort of sound I like. The second one I picked was Loz's 78 P - also sounded fantastic but more vintage.

I happen to think I learnt more about what I am looking for in a bass sound than whether one bass is 'better' than the other... and incidentally I found the 78 easier to play than the Hoppus (though man, that surf green finish....).

I have to say though, I would not have considered buying one before going through that test!

I was having a laugh with myself when listening to the test. As a totally non-P-bass-fan, I didn't particularly like any of the sounds I was hearing except, as it happens, two of them, one towards the beginning of the test and one towards the end.
I thought to myself "One of those [b]has[/b] to be that gorgeous German Warwick Streamer, I really like it". Lo and behold, when I checked Happy Jack's notes, it turns out I was correct! And the other sound I liked was the Dingwall on the J setup. Those two were the sounds he hated :D
What's a P bass again? :o :huh:
Me? Warwick fan through and through... \m/ :gas: \m/

I found the day interesting. Like many other bass-noobs I've been going though basses looking for "that sound". Always GASing for the illusive bass.

What the test, and trying/seeing some other basses taught me was before hitting the "Buy it Now" or "Bid Now" buttons, stop and look at the basses I have:
Check the set up, try different strings, adjust the EQ, maybe try different pups.

There's no way that an Encore or a Gear4MUsic bass should sound better than a thoroughbred USA Fender, but for some reason the some of the folk in the room ticked a box or 2 resulting in giving that view.

BTW, that G4M bass is now giving me some thinking to do. The pots will be replaced, the pups will be replaced with either SD Quarter pounders or Kent Armstrongs as I have those already.

That said I might move it on, maybe, like Bluejay, Ps aren't my thing?

Whatever the answer I know KNOW I've a lot to learn before I ever buy another bass.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1404736810' post='2495178']
Yes, regrettably it was set on the J pickup and as there were far too many controls on there for my puny brain, I didn`t realise - as never played a Dingwall before. Sure it would have made a difference if set to P.
[/quote]

That, and it's got wonky frets! :P :lol: