Why become a member? ×

Herts Bash 2 - The Precision Test

Lozz196

For this event, which I will proudly be presenting, given my love of Precisions, I`m intending on running it as follows:

Behind a closed off curtain, I`ll be playing each bass with 4 different basslines, 1 with a pick, 1 fingerstyle, 1 slap, and 1 with a drum machine (so you can hear how it works "in the mix").

From there, everyone listening (lets assume I get an audience for this) will be asked to mark which are their fave 1st, 2nd & 3rd bass (out of however many, more re that in a min*). 1st gets 10 points, second gets 7 points, 3rd gets 4 points. At the end of the day, one of us is going to have the category Herts Bass Bash Fave Precision 2014. No trophy I`m afraid.

For the faves only, they`ll also be asked which category it falls into, Squier, MIM, MIJ or US.

And for all basses, people will be asked, the dreaded question, maple or rosewood?

* Now, re basses. This is going to be a 45min session, so maximum number of basses I reckon I can do in that time is about 15, so I would like everyone who is intending on bringing a Precision along to be entered into this fab test to let me know what they`re bringing along, by replying to this thread. I`ll then collate accordingly.

(For those who have already put your bass details on this thread, you`re already in the contest [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/234766-p-bass-blind-test/"]http://basschat.co.u...ass-blind-test/[/url])

If we get too many, the fairest way is, if for example I`m getting two US Standards with maple necks, the first entrant is the happy one :) , the second, not so happy :( . Otherwise it`s a case of first in gets their P-Bass heard by all!

Lastly, could everyone who is intending on bring a bass along for this please bring a stand. I don`t want loads of basses lying around on the stage.

Link to the actual Bash:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/231828-herts-bash-2/

Edited by Lozz196

Cheers Paul, here`s hoping too......

To clarify, so far we have:

1. Me - US 78, standard pups, maple
2. JohnnyBoyRotten - Squier, SD QPs, rosewood
3. Hertsbass - US 2012, standard CS pups, maple
4. Grandwazoo - Dingwall PJ5, Dingwall pups, maple
5. Charic - MIM 2006, SD QPs, maple
6. Seashell - MIM, standard pups, rosewood

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1401995104' post='2469110']
Cheers Paul, here`s hoping too......

6. Seashell - MIM, standard pups, rosewood.
7. Balcro - Encore; own-brand p/u; Made in Korea (probably); Elite Stadium 45-105 rounds; maple.
[/quote]

Nice idea - I'm not sure I could hear multiple different playing styles across a 45 minute period from 15 different instruments and be able to make any sort of rationale opinion of them all though :(

Might be better to cut down the number of instruments?

Could be fun to drop a couple of hem in more than once to see how many people are able to hear that they are being duplicated and vote the same way both times - or is that just me being mischevious :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1402224934' post='2471071']
Could be fun to drop a couple of hem in more than once to see how many people are able to hear that they are being duplicated and vote the same way both times - or is that just me being mischevious :)
[/quote]

That is mischief to the nth degree.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1402255202' post='2471427']

That is mischief to the nth degree.
[/quote]

Actually why not just play the same bass over and over again - you know half the people won't notice. It is a Precision after all and they all sound the same. . . :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1402259456' post='2471492']
Actually why not just play the same bass over and over again - you know half the people won't notice. It is a Precision after all and they all sound the same. . . :)
[/quote]

You know what Barrie, there's no need to rain on the parade. Sometimes it's not about anything more than getting out the house, meeting with good people and enjoying what life brings.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1402260602' post='2471511']

You know what Barrie, there's no need to rain on the parade. Sometimes it's not about anything more than getting out the house, meeting with good people and enjoying what life brings.
[/quote]

There was a smile in there for a reason :)

I'm probably the last person to say that all P basses sound the same :) :)

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1402262025' post='2471535']
As a devout P player I also think it would be fun to play the same p with different tone settings to see who notices! Not at this particular testing you understand but at some point in the future! :)
[/quote]

There`s also different pick-attack, and where you strike the strings, both of which make a huge difference in the sound. I`ll note these down for a future one methinks - assuming it`s considered successful and people want me back that is.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1402262233' post='2471541']

- assuming it`s considered successful and people want me back that is.
[/quote]

This must be the song to play then -

http://youtu.be/z91l_lPz1oc

pretty sure that's Wilton Felder on a P bass :)

6. Seashell - MIM, standard pups, rosewood.
7. Balcro - Encore; own-brand p/u; Made in Korea (probably); Elite Stadium 45-105 rounds; maple.
8. Bottle - Squier Precision Special, standard p/u's, Fender #7350 roundwound strings, rosewood fretless