Why become a member? ×

Argh help please!

Evil Undead

I am playing a song live on Saturday evening, me and my new electro acoustic guitar and a couple of other people. I will need to DI as I don't own a guitar amp.

My question is, do I need a DI specifically for a guitar or can I use my Behringer BDI21? If I can use that... Errr... How do I connect it up? I never used it before, just bought it a few years ago in case I needed one!

Thanks

You can use the BDI21 as a DI Mel, plug into the input with your guitar lead as you would usually, then connect a mic-lead to the DI socket and the PA. Should sound ok, clean there shouldn`t be any worries. I like clean acoustic-type guitars through bass gear.

I know of no guitarists who carry around DI boxes for their acoustic guitars. If it's an electric acoustic, with a battery powered pre amp, you won't need one. You can just plug straight into the desk. The worst case scenario is where you just stick a mic in front of your guitar and away you go.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1402010243' post='2469295']
I know of no guitarists who carry around DI boxes for their acoustic guitars. If it's an electric acoustic, with a battery powered pre amp, you won't need one. You can just plug straight into the desk. The worst case scenario is where you just stick a mic in front of your guitar and away you go.
[/quote]

That's cool. Do I need a special lead? My guitar has the usual 1/4" jack and I imagine the desk will have a... what's it called? XLR

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1402010218' post='2469294']
You can use the BDI21 as a DI Mel, plug into the input with your guitar lead as you would usually, then connect a mic-lead to the DI socket and the PA. Should sound ok, clean there shouldn`t be any worries. I like clean acoustic-type guitars through bass gear.
[/quote]

Awesome! I've never used this DI (bought for emergencies and luckily never needed) so I hope it's working!

I'm pretty nervous about this, I'm not a good guitarist.

A DI box is really needed for electric guitar, because that sounds utterly terrible direct to PA (basically, guitar amps & speakers very heavily re-shape tone). For electro-acoustic then straight to desk is fine.

There are [url="http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-DI20-Ultra-DI-Box/297"]DI boxes designed to convert from an ordinary 1/4" jack guitar lead to XLR[/url] for balanced send & return, and those are useful for longer distances & reducing hum (they often have a ground lift switch fitted too, to remove ground loops). Most mixers will have inputs for both XLR and 1/4" jacks. If your mixer isn't far away from you then just plug straight in and don't worry.