Why become a member? ×

DR Neon coloured bass strings

Weststarx

Hello all,

I've recently come across the DR neon coloured bass strings. They absolutely awesome, especially under UV light and some green ones would look cool on my blacked out P Bass.

The question is to anyone thats used them, do they sound any good with all that coating on them?

Price wise they cost around £30 a set so I would like to think they do!

I try to use DRs where possible - I've had 2 sets of the Orange which I really liked, the coating coming off hasn't been an issue for me (finger and slap player) but there have been threads here where it was for pick players. I didn't notice them dying any quicker than anything else - in fact there are other brands which are more notorious for this. They are quite pricey though and some see them as a bit of a gimmick..

I've had a set of greens on my black Yamaha for nigh on three years now, love em! Yeah they feel bit rough.......but I'm a MAN, I can take it! I don't like zingy strings anyway so dead sounding is exactly what I want :) And yay they DO look awesome under UV!!!!!!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1402057095' post='2469594']
I once tried a bass with these on and I have to say they felt rather rough to me. Any idea if they do neon flats?
[/quote]

They don't. They do flats, and they do neons, but not neon flats.

Having said that, I borrowed my mates guitar for a few weeks once, and he had them on the guitar. Can't say I noticed them being rough (although they were played in).

To the OP - they actually sound quite good. They have a pretty unique tone. It's hard to describe, but the strings have a slight plasticy feel to them, but it gives a really balanced tone somewhere between half rounds and round wounds, IME.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a set of Neon Greens on my Bass Collection, took them off after a year but there was still a bit of life left in them. I'd say they're similiar to Sunbeams. It's not an issue if a bit of the colour wears off - just use a highlighter pen to put it back.

I've used DR Extras for the past 4 or 5 years, doing maybe 100 gigs a year and felt they lasted really well. Would change maybe 2 or 3 times a year. They sounded like a set of nickelwounds which has maybe done one or two gigs - crunchy but not overly bright. They'd stay that way for ages.

The last set I used had the new K3 coating which I believe is what's on the Neons too. They've lasted way over a year, but that's because they are horrid compared to the older ones and I've avoided playing the bass they went on - but I'm too tight to just throw them out lol.

The K3 ones are definitely closer to a non-coated steelwound string for brightness, but they also started to fade quicker

The "burning fingers when sliding" comment is also very familiar. A couple of our numbers I slide up and down the E string (from G 3rd fret to octave and back) a four times in two bars and it is impossible to do on the K3 coated strings, by the second one my fingers are on fire.

All in all, I'm really disappointed with them now and I've just bought some Super Slinky, see how they go.

I've used these for a while,on balance I think I prefer Elixers but I use these because, like you've seen they look good under UV lighting, especially seeing as how I play in a punk covers band, they last me about 6 months, flake a bit where I hit them with my pick but nothing too serious , lose a bit of zing but it is a bass I play so I'm not bothered about that. As for the roughness I've never had any trouble playing London Calling. Some people complain Elixirs are too smooth!
I get them from the USA via ebay, about £25

i love the K3 ones for feel and playability but at the time 40's were not available only 45's and they were a bit heavy for me.
to me they didnt feel rough but kinda grippy, which was unusual but nice.
im gonna try some light guage ones when i run out of my supply of sadowsky blue labels.

Edited by winterfire666

• 10 months later...