Why become a member? ×

Stinky acoustic bass strings

I hardly play my Tanglewood (Rosewood Reserve) acoustic bass as the Thomastik Acousticore AB324 Phosrphor Bronze strings feel 'grabby' and make my hands stink after playing.

I'm thinking of putting on an old set of JF-324 flats as I love the feel of those on my short scale solid basses & I expect they'll give me a deep thump on the acoustic rather than the zingy twang of a new set of bronze acoustic roundwounds.

Is it just me, just these strings or does everyone get this with bronze acoustic strings?

Get some of these:

[url="http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2007/0607_EB_WonderWipes.php"]http://www.musicplay...WonderWipes.php[/url]

Available in singles...Ernie Ball UK provided us with a tub of 100 gratis for the Herts Bash..gave some to one of my friends who NEVER cleans his instruments..he raves about them..

(no apologies for the blatant advertisement for EB UK - after all they are supporting our event)

Edited by TheGreek

Cheers for the replies chaps. I'd already tried cleaning the old strings with planet waves string cleaner & fast fret but it made no difference. I've not used nylon wrapped strings for a while so I might look into investing in a set.

I put the old set of JF324s on & they sound & feel pretty good - I'll need to find the tool to give the truss rod a tweak but its not far out.

I've not personally tried them, so don't know how they make your hands smell (although I know what you mean - stocking mainly acoustic guitars, a day of rest ringing them leaves a very odd aroma), but D'Addario do what they call reds. I think they're like a standard bass string with a phosphor bronze coating. I'll have a look in the catalogue later when I'm in the shop to get a better description.