Why become a member? ×

Strings and action question.

I got myself an upright today, I love it, it's a beautiful looking instrument, I'm renting it at the moment, which seems like a good idea, if I don't get on with it, I just take it back and change it, if I like it I can buy it, there's no limit on how long I can keep it for.

Its German, and about 40 years old, it wasn't the cheapest, or the best sounding bass that they had, but I like the look of it, it has character.

I got it from Thwaites in Watford, I can highly recommend them, they're very helpful and friendly, even to a total upright novice like me.

The action is high though, the action on my electric bass is about 1.5mm, this is probably over a 1cm, the guy said he could fit an adjustable bridge to it, so I may have that done.

I was just watching Stanley Clarke and his action seems to be incredibly low, but I'm now watching Branford Marsalis, and his bass player Eric Revis looks to have a really high action.

I have a question about strings, I'm after a set of low tension ones, that will give me a nice clear sound, the ones on it are a bit too thuddy.

Also how long do DB strings last for, a bit longer than BG strings I hope, I change those about once every 6 weeks or so, I don't fancy doing that at £100 a set.

Edited by 6stringbassist

Strings last much longer on DB, I used one set of Thomastiks for 4 years and they were fine. Innovation make low tension strings, honeys and silverslap, but anything gut or nylon in general will have lower tension than steel, but are usually fatter which you can get used to quite quickly.
Keep the questions coming, there are a few really helpful and knowledgeable upright playing chaps on here that seem very willing to help.
Jake

There are two distinct schools of thought on string height. Set the strings low and you will be able to employ a lot of technique and become a hot soloist a la Stanley Clark. Set them higher and you will be able to get a lot more snap out of them. This will give you a bigger sound but will slow you down slightly and will make playing up the fingerboard a harder expereience, especially in the thumb position. The trouble is, the lower you set the strings the easier it will be for them to click on the fingerboard. The quality and setup of this component will be important.

I checked my heights before I posted this and found that the G on the bass I use for larger groups is at 9mm while my more 'technical' bass for piano trios is set at 6mm. Normally my advice to a first-timer would be to go for the higher action (your 10mm should be OK for starters) and get your pizz technique well developed. However, as you come from BG, as several guys seem to be doing these days, you may experience less of a change by having a lower action.

My advice to you, 6string, is to enjoy and explore the bass as it is for the present. Don't rush into any sudden changes, take in all the (sometimes contradictory) advice you'll be sure to get from Basschat, and take your time to decide. Find a good teacher if you can.

Welcome to the world of URB!

Thanks for all your advice.

I have a lesson early this coming week, but I'm getting along with it ok.

I used my tuner to work out where the notes are, I worked out some by ear, the easy ones were obviously where the 5th fret would be, and I've stuck some little pieces of tape along the neck, but I'm going to remove these one at a time over the next day or so, I don't want to start relying on them.

It does need a set up and new strings, the guy in the shop admitted that, but didn't have time to do it, I was late getting there thanks to the road works on the M1, the shop closes at 3 on a Saturday, he was supposed to be at a gig at 3, but it was 3:15 before I left, but he says to take it down in the next week or so and he'll do it.

Kevin

Spirocore reds seem to be the ones normally recommended (by both of my teachers), as they are sort of a 'standard'. When I started out i hated the action on the basses at college. So much I didn't really practice, I actually couldn't, as the blistering was too much. People say this is the norm and you have to build up slowly, which is fair enough, but it wasn't until I got my own bass with an action I felt comfortable with (fairly low, but i have an adjustable bridge if I want to take it up) with spirocore weichs (lights) that I realised how it should feel to be actually able to play the beast. I absolutely love playing now, and can easily do many hours in a row without any fatigue or strain. The sound is loud enough and full enough as it is, so I don't see myself raising it much, even though other players have commented that it is almost too easy to play! Which I don't see as a bad thing. :)

If you are still having a lesson with Tyrone, you should be able to try his bass with the innovation strings on as he changed to them a few months ago. Very light feel, but quite fat strings, so the action needs to be a bit higher as they need quite a bit of room to vibrate.

You're more than welcome to try my bass with an adjustable bridge and weichs if you are in central brum anytime, as £100 for strings plus adj. bridge, setup etc is not a cheap thing (although I can recommend a very good guy in worcester, Tyrone has the guy Rod's number aswell) and it would be good to try a few different sets before committing.

Hi

Thanks.

I have to phone Tyrone tomorrow to sort out a day.

I've been playing on and off for about an hour today I suppose, and my fingers are a bit sore, I can practise my electric for 5 or 6 hours straight with no problem.

I'm going to have an adjustable bridge fitted so I can experiment and get the action just right, I'm only hiring the bass at the moment, so they'll do it for me.

[quote name='Mikey D' post='244133' date='Jul 20 2008, 11:11 PM']Spirocore reds seem to be the ones normally recommended (by both of my teachers), as they are sort of a 'standard'. When I started out i hated the action on the basses at college. So much I didn't really practice, I actually couldn't, as the blistering was too much. People say this is the norm and you have to build up slowly, which is fair enough, but it wasn't until I got my own bass with an action I felt comfortable with (fairly low, but i have an adjustable bridge if I want to take it up) with spirocore weichs (lights) that I realised how it should feel to be actually able to play the beast. I absolutely love playing now, and can easily do many hours in a row without any fatigue or strain. The sound is loud enough and full enough as it is, so I don't see myself raising it much, even though other players have commented that it is almost too easy to play! Which I don't see as a bad thing. :)

If you are still having a lesson with Tyrone, you should be able to try his bass with the innovation strings on as he changed to them a few months ago. Very light feel, but quite fat strings, so the action needs to be a bit higher as they need quite a bit of room to vibrate.

You're more than welcome to try my bass with an adjustable bridge and weichs if you are in central brum anytime, as £100 for strings plus adj. bridge, setup etc is not a cheap thing (although I can recommend a very good guy in worcester, Tyrone has the guy Rod's number aswell) and it would be good to try a few different sets before committing.[/quote]

I'd like to try your bass, just to see how one can be set up, and to try the strings, I could give you the money for that book too, I still haven't got around to transferring it, sorry.

If you can let me know a good time for you.

I got back into UDB after 12 years off. Initially I did about ten minutes a day just playing up and down the neck to get some strength and stamina back. It also kept the blisters to a minimum.

Your teacher will help you with hand positions. It's easy to over do it in the beginning as you're probably eager to get stuck in. DB is a beautiful thing to play.
There is almost nothing more gratifying than digging in and feeling as well as hearing the sound from a double bass.

Enjoy!

The adjustable bridge is a great idea. You can experiment and find the right set up for you (or even change depending on the gig!)

I think the "right" height/ease of play is as much to do with the tension of your strings and shape of the fingerboard.

Good Luck with your new bass!!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='guyl' post='244498' date='Jul 21 2008, 03:48 PM']The adjustable bridge is a great idea. You can experiment and find the right set up for you (or even change depending on the gig!)

I think the "right" height/ease of play is as much to do with the tension of your strings and shape of the fingerboard.

Good Luck with your new bass!![/quote]

I totally agree guyl. I had adjusters fitted on my bass about a year ago and it has allowed me to experiment with different string heights to suit both my playing and to get the best sound (for me) out of this particular bass.
One important lesson I have learned is that the 'Higher action = greater volume' is not strictly true as the increased pressure seems to choke the sound and sustain.
My advice to a beginner would be to get adjusters fitted and only go as high as needed to let the bass speak properly without excessive string clatter. Don't overdo it with string height initiallly - you won't get a machismo medal, you'll just end up with tendonitis.