Why become a member? ×

How Do You Learn Hard Pieces?

CMR Bass

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1402422921' post='2473384']
Slowly.

Lots of repetition.

No metronome.

Breaking it up into chunks.

Learn it by ear first. Worry about writing it down later.

Good luck!
[/quote]

Yep this is more of less how I do it. Endless repetition of the parts over and over again then I try and play the whole thing through. It can take days or weeks. Anything that looks like an arpeggiated chord - try and log that in you brain as a C major (for instance). Remember what finger to 'lead' sections of notes so you've got the right hand position to proceed to the next note cluster. Go a slow as you like at first. It's incredible how persistence and practise pays off in the end.

See how far off you are just by playing what you hear.. and then fill in the gaps.
You tube has some good pointers but mostly for the obvious and popular stuff...

I used to wear out the turntable years ago..but now I just aim for close..
I not sure why I would want to learn something note for note now...depends on
the context.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1408095974' post='2527003']
I learn all numbers in the same way; from the top, slowly, section by section and I chart the cords and structure as I go.

Complicated stuff just takes longer but the same rules apply.
[/quote]

Roughly the same here. Unless I can get away with root-notes...........

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1420456945' post='2649448']
See how far off you are just by playing what you hear.. and then fill in the gaps.
You tube has some good pointers but mostly for the obvious and popular stuff...
[/quote]

This is what i do.
I can get pretty close just listening.
I'll have a go, and if any parts are wrong, or not close enough, ill spend 5 minutes working them out.
I dont stress if its not 100% correct. 98% will do me and the majority of "Joe Public" :)

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1420468100' post='2649619']
....I dont stress if its not 100% correct. 98% will do me and the majority of "Joe Public"....
[/quote]

My approach to playing is that the original artist is in the audience and is looking for a new bass player.

IMO you should aim for 100% of the feel, but as far as the notes are concerned, sometimes you have to play what's written but at other times you are free to play.

So much depends on the instruments in your band.

The bassline I play for [i][b]Don't Be Cruel[/b][/i] bears little resemblance to that played by Bill Black ... in fact what I play is far harder (especially since I'm singing too).

The reason is that my bassline has to make up for the absence of a piano in our line-up. Much/most of the "bassline" that people hear on that song is actually the pianist's left hand, so I have to introduce those notes that would otherwise be missing.

If we're covering a number originally played by a line-up of two guitars, bass & drums then I'll try to replicate the original bassline. Otherwise, what matters is making it sound like the original, which may involve doing something quite different.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1420473490' post='2649705']
My approach to playing is that the original artist is in the audience and is looking for a new bass player.

IMO you should aim for 100% of the feel, but as far as the notes are concerned, sometimes you have to play what's written but at other times you are free to play.
[/quote]

I'll always hope my take is better or works better, but sometimes that is a tough ask...
but unless all the other instruments have gotten it down, I'm more interested in it working
than be exact. I worked out Rhythm Stick but it was the rest of the band parts that killed it...
typically the keys ..well, that's my story.. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...