Why become a member? ×

Please be gentle.... another guitarist....

hairychris

I'm rubbish at introductions, so, erm, hello! My name is Chris, I'm kinda middle-aged and hairy, and I've only been playing bass in any serious way since January this year when I joined a band almost by accident.

Backing up a bit I've been playing guitar since the late 80s, and have been in a few bands since the mid 90s, plus made the transition to gear whore somewhen in the early 00s when I worked out that house/family/car/responsibility wasn't really my cup of tea. You don't have to feed guitars anything other than strings, and amps don't complain if you've been out all night!

Anyway. I jammed with some friends back in January after their bassist had quit due to other commitments, and I found myself playing an instrument that I wasn't too familiar with and having to learn other people's material for the first time in years (having been a guitarist in a band for 10 years that played originals only). They decided not to audition anyone else, which surprised me somewhat. Something of a learning curve, but a fun one.

As of now I've played 2 shows with these guys and my original band has folded, so leaving me in a position of, erm, an accidental bassist. :blush:

The important stuff:

2007 Korean Ibanez SR505 (tuned CGCFA) ->
Dyna comp clone/Analogman Tubescreamer/EHX Bass Muff/9 of Swords Twin Earth fuzz/Boss TU-2/Behringer DD ->
[s]Ampeg[/s] Ashdown MAG 300 + 4x10 (Inherited from band's previous bass chap)
Plus a SansAmp Bass Driver DI that I need to slot in somewhere, an Ampeg B2R head, and a TC Flashback X4 that may end up on the board

The rig as it is sounds pretty gnarly. I'm GASing for an EBMM, but to be honest I like the particular kick that the SR's Bartolinis have, and it plays ridiculously well. I also have a soft spot for Carvin, having owned several of their guitars in the past. I don't really have amp GAS at the moment but that may change.

Other stuff...

Of low end interest I own a Moog Little Phatty Stage v1, and have got a Sub 37 Tribute Edition on pre-order.

Guitars, well, 2 x Blackmachine customs (one 7, one 6 string), 2 x PRS, 1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom Silverburst, 1 x Jackson, 1 x MIM Fender Tele (love that guitar!), Jaden Rose 7 string, Agile 8 string, Diezel Einstein, Marshall JCM900, various other bits & pieces. Some of this needs to go on the block but I've been saying that for years.

So yeah. Hi all!

:yarr:

Edited by hairychris

Hello!

The folks that I play for are here: https://www.facebook.com/lastseenwearing They're all huge Melvins fans. My guitar-playing style is a car-crash of influences from 80s-era thrash to drone, but have yet to develop really where I'm going with the bass.

What do I listen to? Mainly podcasts right now, but musically my preferences tend towards angry & chaotic (Deathspell Omega/Nile/Anaal Nathrakh to Venetian Snares) with the odd venture into more chilled electronica, plus stoner rock and doom for the grooves.

MODS! He said "muff"!
...without adding "Russian" or "modded" or "Sovtek" or "Myrtle" or .... !!! :o ;)

Welcome, Chris!
Nice introduction too. As I like Melvins and Nile, it's your fault I have to check out the other ones you mention - stuff I've never even heard about.

Anyway, enjoy the banter!

Bert

Welcome to basschat, and to the new and exciting world of bass
I hope you are among the handful of guitarists who suddenly have a realisation that bass is important,
and what it's for ;)

Hope you enjoy your new-found accidental role

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1402418035' post='2473299']
Unmodded Muff? Is this some sort of swear word/entity?
[/quote]

Hehehe. No, not really. Twas just an attempt at a joke containing a cry-out for the mods due to the "muff" word (which means "vagina", right?), and in the next line it appears the crying was not about the vagina after all, but about some rather non-important technical details.
You probably know this a lot better than I do, but just in case: the original Big Muff has been modded for four decades or so, and a plethora of different fuzzes exist that are basically variants over the original Big Muff. I get the impression there are hundreds by now.

As to the Rickenbacker rumpus, in essence it's just about BC not being able to accept responsibility for sales ads for Ricks as these ads might instead contain unlawful imitations of some sort or another.
So BC is not a Rick free zone, even if BC has worded it that way, and one is free to discuss and show both Ricks, Rick copies, Rick imitations, Rick covers and Rick tributes. :)
Hope this helps.

BC is basically a friendly, tolerant place.
Have fun!

Bert

OK, I have to admit it right now... I use a pick most of the time.

:ph34r:

Am impressed at the number of people who are beer enthusiasts, although not exactly surprised, and it seems that I live 5 mins up the A2 from madshadows as my current collision between a book store & 2nd hand music outlet (aka "flat") is in Deptford. SE posse! :lol:

Edited by hairychris

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1402420224' post='2473327']
that *points upwards* is a corker.
[/quote]

Would you please explain what that means?
Merriam-Webster didn't help me, and the Urban Dictionary indicates wildly varying meanings.

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1402420919' post='2473344']
OK, I have to admit it right now... I use a pick most of the time.

:ph34r:

Am impressed at the number of people who are beer enthusiasts, although not exactly surprised, and it seems that I live 5 mins up the A2 from madshadows as my current collision between a book store & 2nd hand music outlet (aka "flat") is in Deptford. SE posse! :lol:
[/quote]

I'm just off Lewisham Road, quite near Blackheath, us Sarf Lundoners are taking over LOL ;) :P

John