Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Strings

thumbo

I've just stuck a set of Ernie Ball Extra Slinkys 40-60-70-95 on my Streamer Stage 1 and it sounds and feels the best it ever has. I've tried Warwick Black Label, Elites, Rotosound, D'addario EXL's and Coated EXP's (most of which in several different gauges) on this bass but none of those brands sound or feel anywhere near as good as these for how I like my sound and setup.

Now I'll just have to see how well they last :) if they last me as long as a set of D'addario EXL's, which is about 3 weeks on average, i'll be happy.

I've not seen much talk of Ernie Ball strings on bassworld/basstalk in past, is this because the general consensus is that they're a bit poo or something?

IMO I think Ernie Balls are overpriced for what they are. D'addario's seem to last longer and are generally a little cheaper too. If we're talking non-coated strings anyhoo.
Having said that though, if you like em then you know you can get them anywhere as pretty much most guitar shops Ive been in stock EB strings.
Andy

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='25659' date='Jul 1 2007, 05:28 PM']Loads of people use Slinkys I think. Anyway it's all personal taste. There's no Holy Grail of strings![/quote]

You not heard of Elixir then? :)

No, as you say it IS personal taste, but I was merely stating my opinion..
Andy

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='25672' date='Jul 1 2007, 05:57 PM']Wasn't having a pop - just replying to the original question! Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Actually, I was once given a set of Elixirs with a bit of a nudge-nudge: "try these mate and you'll never look back" kind of thing. Couldn't see what the fuss what about![/quote]

Thats cool. No problm.

As for Elixirs, I was trying a, albeit tenuous pun on Elixir of youth/Holy Grail thing. Failed miserably :)
Andy

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='25659' date='Jul 1 2007, 05:28 PM']Loads of people use Slinkys I think. Anyway it's all personal taste. There's no Holy Grail of strings![/quote]

Their endorsement list for strings is impressive. I wish there was a holy grail of strings, it seems like all brands have their positive and negative points- price, durability, tensions etc. It's all personal taste indeed.

I use EB power slinkys never had any probs with them, they stay brighter a little longer than roto's or ghs boomers that i used to use. not knocking those strings though i'd buy em in a second if i couldnt get my power slinkys :)

I absolutely love Super Slinkies.

I have probably tried all of the main strings by the main manufacturers and these are my favourite. I have used them on my Stingrays and now use them on my '51 reissue P bass. the original strings were way tooo high tension for my liking.

they are not the be all and end all - I use DR Marcus Miller Fatbeams on my 4 string fretless tuned B-E-A-D and DR coated on my Yamaha TRB6 II fretless.

Has anyone noticed that Picato strings seem to have vanished? I used to use them all time