24 replies to this topic

#1 MoonBassAlpha

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Guitar, Drums (a bit), Squash

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

Has anyone bought, tried, built one of these yet?
I'm really tempted after my experience getting the Retro Tone upgrade on my Sessionette, even though I'm not playing guitar in a band and already have 2 guitar amps...
U.S. Masters EP42 trans blue-- U.S. Masters EP42 lacewood fretless-- Sei Flamboyant headless 4
Genz-Benz Shuttle3.0 & Shuttle6.0--Ashdown CTM15 - Barefaced Super Midget G3, Midget G2-- 1x12 cab with EVM12L-- 1x10 baby cab with Celestion BN200-10X

My feedback Music by Charms Against The Evil Eye: https://soundcloud.com/the-new-moon
For sale: Celestion Greenbacks
Zoom MRS-1266 12 track digital recorder

#2 Kiwi

Big, bouncy and now officially "dangerous".

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,614 posts
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

Gorra link? :)
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, FEA Labs Dual Band compressor, Future Impact bass synth, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, Trace Elliot Hexavalve, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads

Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Klein-berger replica with sustainer, Warmoth HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Effectrode PC2A compressor, Empress Parametric Eq, Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 Burman Pro 501 50w combo and Fender Concert II (Rivera era)

Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Burman GX3 preamp, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live + soft synths

#3 MoonBassAlpha

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

http://www.award-ses.../bluesbaby.html

They are now offering flat-pack cabinets for them too! The temptation is becoming unbearable! I've got a 70's Greenback I could use too, which is one of the speakers they reckon works well...
U.S. Masters EP42 trans blue-- U.S. Masters EP42 lacewood fretless-- Sei Flamboyant headless 4
Genz-Benz Shuttle3.0 & Shuttle6.0--Ashdown CTM15 - Barefaced Super Midget G3, Midget G2-- 1x12 cab with EVM12L-- 1x10 baby cab with Celestion BN200-10X

My feedback Music by Charms Against The Evil Eye: https://soundcloud.com/the-new-moon

#4 JapanAxe

My other bass is a Precision.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

I would love them to issue that as a chassis-build kit - bag of parts, printed chassis, instructions, and off you go!
Bass Guitars | Fender Precision (USA 1973) | Fender Precision '63 AVRI (USA 2015) | Fender Mustang FSR (Japan 2016) | Kala U-bass

Backline | Demeter VTBP-M-800D | Markbass Nano Mark 300 | Barefaced Compact & Midget (vintage silver) | Markbass Micromark 801

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#5 MoonBassAlpha

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

He won't do that as he is trying to recover his development costs.
Understandable really. I imagine dealing with d.i.y cock-ups would be a right pain too. Nobody would want to get into that!
Same reason he didn't do the Retro-tone upgrade as a bag of bits too.

#6 JapanAxe

My other bass is a Precision.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

Fair enough, although I have sent them an email on this topic.

Quite tempted to get one of these and close off the open sides of the chassis with aluminium sheet, then use it as an emergency backup to my guitar amp, or for jams etc.
Bass Guitars | Fender Precision (USA 1973) | Fender Precision '63 AVRI (USA 2015) | Fender Mustang FSR (Japan 2016) | Kala U-bass

Backline | Demeter VTBP-M-800D | Markbass Nano Mark 300 | Barefaced Compact & Midget (vintage silver) | Markbass Micromark 801

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#7 rubis

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

View PostJapanAxe, on 20 June 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

I would love them to issue that as a chassis-build kit - bag of parts, printed chassis, instructions, and off you go!
From what I've read of them you could do worse than one of these http://www.ampmaker.com/store/home.php

#8 Geek99

bassically untalented

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  • Interests:coffee, bass, sleep

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

Not all that expensive either
I'm probably reading on an iPhone and so cant see signatures and locations as I'm likely using the lo-fi version..Please be understanding if I ask for this information for the usual reasons.

Vintage EST96A Stingray clone

73 sunburst P replica in nitro (by the Bass Doc)

Feedback here http://basschat.co.u...ack-for-geek99/

FOR SALE

nothing

#9 MoonBassAlpha

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:06 PM

Now offering complete ready built combos:http://www.award-session.com/bluesbaby-complete.html

#10 BigRedX

RockinRollin VampireMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:43 AM

Do they do a cab design where the controls are on the front panel rather than on the top?

Top mounted controls are fine if you need to fit in power valves and are trying to save space and/or money on the cab construction, but otherwise they are hangover from the early days when no-one knew much about speaker placement on stage and seemed to be content to have them on the floor pointing at their knees and ankles rather than in a manner that makes them easier to hear.

As soon as you mount a combo with top facing controls on a suitably high or tilt-back stand you make the controls less accessible.

My Music:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 MoonBassAlpha

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

Not at the moment, it was always designed to fit straight into a Blues Junior cab, but nothing to stop you making your own (barring the necessary skills, of course!)

#12 Ancient Mariner

How do I delete my account?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:39 PM

They're just trying to fake the look of a Fender tweed amp, hence the layout. No reason that chassis couldn't be turned round to face forwards, since there's no valves to worry about.

IIRC amp controls were originally top-mounted & rear-facing so you could place it on the front of the stage to use as PA and see what the settings were from behind.
My feedback

Light travels faster than sound: that's why some people appear bright until they speak.

#13 Mykesbass

Absurd Strawman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts
  • Interests:Music (funny that), Rugby - referee lower levels in Sussex, food and of course, family.

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:01 PM

View PostMoonBassAlpha, on 14 June 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Has anyone bought, tried, built one of these yet?
I'm really tempted after my experience getting the Retro Tone upgrade on my Sessionette, even though I'm not playing guitar in a band and already have 2 guitar amps...

Old thread bump - did you end up taking the plunge? Anyone else tried one? Like what I've heard online and seriously thinking of recommending one to my guitarist.
My Feedback Here:
My Blog www.modlock.co.uk
My Band Lee Ainley's Blues Storm
My Work Wordcrafting

#14 kristo

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Football, Cider, Laughing.

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:15 AM

I have one of these and think it's great. I've always preferred solid state amps for reliability and scored a lovely tweed Bluesbaby. A pine cab and Jensen neo speaker means it's the lightest guitar amp I've had. It's not the loudest amp if you want a clean tone for gigging, but the tone is very nice.

#15 Mykesbass

Absurd Strawman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts
  • Interests:Music (funny that), Rugby - referee lower levels in Sussex, food and of course, family.

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:19 PM

View Postkristo, on 29 October 2015 - 11:15 AM, said:

I have one of these and think it's great. I've always preferred solid state amps for reliability and scored a lovely tweed Bluesbaby. A pine cab and Jensen neo speaker means it's the lightest guitar amp I've had. It's not the loudest amp if you want a clean tone for gigging, but the tone is very nice.

Thanks Kristo - what sort of band setting have you used it in? Checked your Owl & Wolves page (very cool) but not a lot of electric guitar going on in those clips. If it is that band that it isn't loud enough for then it won't work for my guitarist.

Cheers,
Mike
My Feedback Here:
My Work Wordcrafting

#16 kristo

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:32 AM

I've only used it for jams (with full drums and other guitars), I don't gig on electric guitar at the minute, just acoustic or bass. It's loud enough, but I like a bit of crunch when I dig in. If I just wanted a clean tone it's not quite loud enough, but a more efficient speaker might change that.

#17 Mykesbass

Absurd Strawman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:52 PM

OK, thanks for that Kristo, certainly one to bear in mind.
My Feedback Here:
My Work Wordcrafting

#18 MoonBassAlpha

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:54 PM

I didn't go for it in the end as I got the little Ashdown 15W bass amp which works nicely with guitar.
Since there is little chance of me gigging on guitar in the near future, I can't justify another amp on top of the Retrotone Sessionette and Trace Super Tramp 100W which never gets used nowadays.
Doing the lightweight thing is exactly what I would have done though, but with my 10" Celestion neo bass speaker, or one of the aforementioned Greenbacks I have access to.
Glad it's working out well for you Kristo.
MBA

#19 Mykesbass

Absurd Strawman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:30 PM

ANother revisit to the thread - saw on Facebook this week that a more powerful version is now in the pipeline.
My Feedback Here:
My Work Wordcrafting

#20 kristo

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:05 PM

My Blues Baby is listed in the classifieds if anyone's interested.

#21 MoonBassAlpha

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

What's the story Kristo? Did it not work out for you in some way?

#22 kristo

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostMoonBassAlpha, on 12 March 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

What's the story Kristo? Did it not work out for you in some way?

Not at all, it's a great amp, but I haven't played electric guitar for months so it's sitting unused. I play bass in one band and acoustic/resonator in another. I've decided that it's time to move on stuff that's sat unused.

#23 paul h

Member Tittle.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts
  • Interests:Bass. T-shirts.

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:58 AM

I really like the idea of these. I prefer to do the single channel and control the gain from the guitar thang and if these can do it without the weight, hassle and price tag of a valve amp I might be interested at some point :)

(Not now though...I have no money) :D

"You are where you're at, when you're there." - Chris Stapleton

My t-shirt stores listed below...

#24 kristo

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:05 AM

View Postpaul h, on 16 March 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

I really like the idea of these. I prefer to do the single channel and control the gain from the guitar thang and if these can do it without the weight, hassle and price tag of a valve amp I might be interested at some point :)

(Not now though...I have no money) :D

Yeah, they are great using just the volume knob; that's what I do.

#25 MoonBassAlpha

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:49 PM

Just noticed they've brought out a 45 watt version! AND they offer the amp chassis or full combo now with customisable finish. Yeah baby!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users