Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Midget stack

bassist_lewis

There's definitely someone on BC with a 2xCompact stack, and a few (myself included) who rock Midget+Compact stacks. Can't remember anyone mentioning using a 2x Midget stack.

It could only be good though!

Have you thought about adding a Compact instead? That would give you far more options, and the price seems to have gone down since 3rd Gen came out (EDIT: [u]used[/u] price).

NB - not selling mine!

Edited by JapanAxe

+1 on the adding a Compact instead, and they are not that expensive (used) since the new gen came out.
I use a Compact with a newer Big Baby 2, and it's a pretty cool combination. The Compact is loud and has a good bottom, and the BB2 (much like the midget I imagine) can provide all the midrange definition you may want. The Compact is only something like 12Kg too!

Having had a Midget/Compact stack, the pair in my opinion, really compliment each other. I found the Compact too warm/smooth, and the Midget a little on the middy side, but working together you just get this lovely full sound. My only regret is not getting the Midget T, as I find that a tweeter adds nice definition to the top end - not that I use a lot of top mind.

The thing about having a 2xmidget stack is that it becomes essentially the same as a super twelve only IIRC there isn't as much bottom end compared to the S12 or a compact plus midget as the box internally isn't quiet as big overall. Or that maybe cobblers.

Either way a midget stack sounds like a nice idea and I'm sure two together will sound ace while still keeping the weight down and the footprint small too.

I certainly think you should try the 2 12's together, but since this is not a known practice, it seems,
you need to borrow one to check it out.
I have a feeling it could be a better match up than a 15 and 12 but that really depends how you play

i must be in a minority! i use a pair of midgets, i chose them over a super 12 as i find it marginally easier to move 2 smaller cabs and a lot of the time a single midget is enough (i have been known to take both and only plug one of them in!)

i can't really compare to a super 12 as i haven't heard one, but the 2 midget stack is marginally taller.

a compact/midget stack was a thought until i measured the allocated space in the house and it wouldn't fit (the midgets live on a shelf behind a curtain in the spare room, the shelf was big enough for one compact, or one super 12 or a pair of midgets but not a midget and a compact)

so far i have never run out of clout. if i started havng problems being heard it won't be because of my rig!

if anyone in the north east wants to try out the midget stack then i'm always happy to oblige.

Matt

Midget T + Compact here. Used them together only a couple of times as, tbh, the Midget does all I need on its own. Was thinking of selling them both to buy a new Super Midget and have done with it.

The Midget T+Compact stack sounds incredible and is way louder than anything I've ever needed (especially using both virtually doubles to the output of the amp too). I used to use the Compact for bigger gigs, but I've braved it enough times with just the Midget and not once been left wanting so just use the Midget all the time.

I use pretty dud strings on a Stingray (or Ruach with Stingray pups) and play Motown/soul mostly and it pours out the bottom end no problem. Needs a powerful amp to get the best from it.

I know the Gen 3 BF cabs are supposed to be even better, but these older cabs are still incredible.

I didn't like the midget that much apart from it's form factor, switched to bergantinos and never been happier.
BUT
I kinda know full well that when I can no longer manage them this is exactly the rig I'll buy, two midget T's seems like a great idea to me, and it'll do duty as a pa or guitar stack (tweeter off) id reckon. Plus so easy to move around.
Veeeery tempting thought.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1402949518' post='2478270']
Are there any Midget owners near you Lewis? Happy to meet up in the interests of bassology if you are near me, or maybe you could attend a Bass Bash?
[/quote]

I'm based in Edinburgh, and not aware of any midget users nearby. Tbh I never have trouble hearing myself at gigs but I am almost always running the amp near full.

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1403218427' post='2480976']
I'm based in Edinburgh, and not aware of any midget users nearby. Tbh I never have trouble hearing myself at gigs but I am almost always running the amp near full.
[/quote]

I'm in Edinburgh and have a Compact, if you want to hear what it sounds like with your midget...

[/quote]

The addition of another Midget or a Compact should mean a fair reduction in the need for this. I found that using the Compact on its own my volume was way higher than when using the two together.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1403280042' post='2481503']

The addition of another Midget or a Compact should mean a fair reduction in the need for this. I found that using the Compact on its own my volume was way higher than when using the two together.
[/quote]

Might be more to do with it being higher up and closer to your ear. And sounding bigger overall because of more speakers.
My Super compact is insane in the air, but on the floor I need to have the amp on a lot.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1403289449' post='2481596']
Might be more to do with it being higher up and closer to your ear. And sounding bigger overall because of more speakers.
My Super compact is insane in the air, but on the floor I need to have the amp on a lot.
[/quote]

it's definitely a bit of both, when it comes to onstage volume. I have used two cabs onstage live many times now, not so much because I need the volume (I'm DI'd most times, and onstage two cabs is unnecessary), but because the stack is higher and I can hear it better using probably less volume overall. It seems a bit wasteful, but the cabs take up so little space and are so portable, so why not? :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1403294807' post='2481664']
but the cabs take up so little space and are so portable, so why not? :)
[/quote]

Absolutely, why not indeed. :) The footprint of a Compact is only a bit bigger than a Midget, so once you have that on the floor it is only extra vertical space if you stack the Midget on top... I usually rehearse with just the Midget, just because it suits me to do a 'one trip from the car' lug. But for gigs it is just lovely to get the full sound.

[/quote]

With the STL900 its the rig as me. I never have it anywhere near half and I've put a softer V1 valve in. You must have a really loud band! With two of them you'll virtually double the output of your amp too.

No doubt, you have to drive a Midget hard, it's not for feint-hearted amps. However, I get complaints, from the drummer mostly, when I'm pushing it.

The [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]'one trip from the car lug' is life changing![/color][/font]

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1403471019' post='2483055']
I play a lot of big hotel function rooms without PA support - our PA is guff - so I need to fill a lot of space! I do fine but it'd be good to have the headroom. The reason I'm thinking of a double midget (gen 2) stack is for the footprint on stage.
[/quote]

In which case the Compact is the same footprint as the Midget on its side (and only a little bigger than it standing up) and would be a great stack and give you a few options to boot.

Midget+Midget great too (only one needs to have the 'T') but, for me, the Compact gives some more options.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1403518059' post='2483366']
In which case the Compact is the same footprint as the Midget on its side (and only a little bigger than it standing up) and would be a great stack and give you a few options to boot.

Midget+Midget great too (only one needs to have the 'T') but, for me, the Compact gives some more options.
[/quote]

indeed. Very similar footprint, but significantly deeper sound, louder.