Why become a member? ×

La Bella Black Nylons

fretmeister

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1402854350' post='2477280']
No they are a different colour.

*shambles towards coat rack, hiding face in shame*
[/quote]I have to agree :rolleyes:

as I haven't tried them yet - but they feel good 'Doctor' :happy:

I don't know anything about the N's either - the Whites are T's though ;)

Edited by KiOgon

Just to note
I did like the 750N's a lot when i had a Rob Allen but they are thick heavy strings sounded great on that bass but since going over to a Status Electro 5 string I bought status black tape wound £25 cheaper I also tried GHS which were fatter than the status and higher tension than the Status - and not as musical to my ear so went back to the Status strings - watch out that your machine head hole can take the Dia.of the La bella as the modern light weight tuners are not as forgiving as the old open fender type. oh i also had to file my nut to get the GHS on my bass and as the La bella are even thicker you may be into some DIY :angry:

I have the White ones on my Variax, makes no difference to the sound as the processor overrides everything but they feel sexy and have a higher tension (I'll call it tension and most folks will understand so can the 'Compliance Police' give me a break) than other nylons I tried, which I like.

Had to file the nut though ........................ I filed it under 'P' :ph34r:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/tapewound-club-anyone.1073984/"]http://www.talkbass....anyone.1073984/[/url]

I am member #9. (#9...#9...#9...) I play in a horn/party band that literally plays everything from '50's to present. These are my #1 strings on my Ibby SRA305 5-string. A little darker than rounds with the nylon damping the overtones slightly, but only to get the harsh edge off. I have good articulation and tone with them, and I get numerous compliments on everything, even from non-bass players! (Makes me wonder if I'm sticking out of the mix, but my sound guy takes care of that.)

Interesting effect on sustain: first, loads of sustain. These are not your, "All the thump, all the time," strings. I don't know how they do this, although it is probably due to the greater diameter of the string means more nylon tape wrap on the string, but here goes: you know on a conventional set the G string tends to lose sustain first, and the E string holds on the most, due to the relative mass of each string. But with the La Bella Black Nylons standard gauge, the sustain is roughly equal from string-to-string, and a goodly amount of sustain at that.

The white tapes are brighter; the copper tapes are more "upright-ish."

The major drawback: because the nylon outer wrap isolates the string from the bridge saddle, unless you have a pickup with a metal pickup cover that is also grounded that you can anchor your thumb, then depending on the bass, it may be prone to electrostatic noise, like what happens when you are turned on, plugged in, turned up, but take both hands off the bass. On my bass I had to upgrade to full EMG actives to get rid of the noise, since EMG actives are not bridge grounded. But it was worth it. After almost 40 years of playing bass, I have the most quiet, most consistent (yes, even over Fender Flats), most even tension feel of strings I have played.

The minor drawback: due to the nylon tape having the effect of making the strings larger diameter, you may have to widen your nut slots for the regular gauge strings. But it is worth it. The "light" gauge feel more like a conventional set of 40-95 rounds, so if you like light strings, the light gauge will work without having to widen the nut slots.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1403162418' post='2480278']
I've bought some but now can't decide which bass to put them on :-D
[/quote]
How about the 2012 Am Std Cherry/Maple? The black dots on the maple, along with the black stripe on the bevel of the pickguard, will set off the La Bella black tapes really, really well. If they are the standard gauge, you might have to adjust the nut slots, but Oh, it is worth it!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1402850390' post='2477227']I quite fancy a set for my fretless and the Rob Allen players seem really happy with their DB-ish sound (I realise that is a lot to do with the bass itself).[/quote]
To actually answer the OP's comment, To me, La Bella's sound more like regular bass guitar strings with the slightest bit of damping of the initial attack, and just slightly damped tone and sustain. If the OP wants more of a "double bass" sound, and wants to try tapewounds, then Rotosound tapewounds are specifically designed as such. I had a set of the Rotosounds tapes on the same bass for awhile, and to me they do sound more along the line towards emulated double bass tone than do the La Bella strings.

And to answer another question above, the La Bella "white" tapewounds are brighter in both colour and in tone than the black.

Edited by iiipopes