Why become a member? ×

NBD - Limelight '63 Jazz medium relic

wateroftyne

Hey gang

I went to have a look at a new American Standard Precision that someone was selling over the weekend. It was very nice, but I'm just not a new shiny bass kind-of-guy.

The seller was also selling a Limelight '63 Jazz medium relic.

Now, I swore myself off Jazzes a while ago when I sold my '71, but this thing was smiling at me in an 'aren't I pretty?' kind of way.

Next thing I know, I've bought the bugger. I'm so shallow....

As you can see, it's very, very nice. Lovely weight, nice and resonant. I know there are a lot of relic haters out there, but if it's been tastefully I've never had an issue with it. And this has been done extremely well IMO.

For some reason the previous owner has removed the Limelight signature from the back (just done in marker pen, I think?) - which is a shame - and, bizarrely - the 'offset body' logo from the headstock. Dunno why.

I've actually been talking to Mark at Limelight about getting a lightly relic'd P - if I still don't connect with Jazzes, this is such a good job a Limelight P could well be on the cards. We'll see...

That looks really nice - the relic work doesn't look too contrived. Have to say, I keep looking at the Pino-like P bass on Classic & Cool, but I've never played a Limelight, nor do I know anyone who has.

Do me a favour and tell me that the Jazz plays like a dog? It'll save me from buying another bass I don't really need if you do :lol:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1402917647' post='2477792']
Doesn't it?

I was never keen on Bravewood - I always thought they looked like they'd been nibbled by rodents.
[/quote]

Many people are unware of their patent Rodetn Nibbling Process™.

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1402918472' post='2477812']
Is it the photo or does the back of the neck look smooth and glossy whilst the body looks a bit battered (In a good way, I like it)
[/quote]

Yep - it looks like the neck was left intentionally relic'd-but-glossy....

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1402944349' post='2478178']
I made some sound clips.

(Disclaimer: I'm just a dabbler when it comes to home recording)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6np-PCYITrw[/media]
[/quote]

Lots of growl, I like it :)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1402945604' post='2478206']
Bit of a silly question but are these limelight basses made with proper Fender parts or are they actually limelight made just with a Fender decal stuck on the headstock?
[/quote]

I have no idea. The necks are made in Scotland, apparently. Dunno about the rest.

Sounds v.similar to my 63 heavy relic WOT.....cept your playing's better!
The neck on mine is more satin but still has coat over the wood so the 'sweat' stain is fully sealed. The offset body bit of the decal is on mine so not sure on that one. Nice score mate.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='kennyrodgers' timestamp='1402947300' post='2478240']
What strings are they Michael ?? The bass sounds great btw.
B)
[/quote]

It's the rounds it was wearing when I got it.... not sure of the brand. The flats will be going on soon :lol:

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1402947258' post='2478238']
Absolutely gorgeous... machines are 70s style though.

Love the detail, that neck looks a dream.

Nice playing!
[/quote]

Well spotted, and.. thank you :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1402948519' post='2478258']

It's the rounds it was wearing when I got it.... not sure of the brand. The flats will be going on soon :lol:

Well spotted, and.. thank you :)
[/quote]

Good choice. I have a nice set of flats waiting for mine when it arrives. I'll be recording a before and after so people can hear the difference :-)