Why become a member? ×

EHX Hot Tubes Nano

ahpook

Got hold of this a few weeks back, but have only really just got round to giving it a good try on bass.

Have to say I'm very impressed - good low-gain, just-breaking-up sounds. Pretty much a clean boost at very low-gain.

It's quite a dark-sounding pedal - at minimum gain my tone control is at ~2pm to keep the tone intact - but as the gain increases that darker tone works well with the increasing splat and fuzzyness.

Plenty of low end without too much boominess.

Not that I [i]need[/i] another dirt pedal for bass....but, you know ;)

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1403103298' post='2479807']
I'm still enjoying mine too mate.
I'm using it for more 'vintage' sounds, and it sits well in the mix.
I switch the tone out though rather than using it at all ;)
Nice to see someone else is enjoying it and not dismissing ehx completely :)
[/quote]

The big question is, how does it compare to the Glove?
I'm amazed at how many overdrive/distorion pedals EHX make. I'd love to give them all a spin.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1403103298' post='2479807']
I'm still enjoying mine too mate.
I'm using it for more 'vintage' sounds, and it sits well in the mix.
I switch the tone out though rather than using it at all ;)
Nice to see someone else is enjoying it and not dismissing ehx completely :)
[/quote]

Always had time for EHX !

The Glove sounds interesting, especially given what Dan's mentioned about it being an OCD with better bottom end.

Edited by ahpook

I tried the Glove today and man it is a loud pedal. I had to set the volume almost at zero to match the level without the effect. The sound itself reminded me of my Tech21 Leeds: midrangey (but retains bass) with a crisp high end, but I didn't like the absence of a blend or bass control. The mid shift switch is a bit pointless for bass IMHO as it makes the sound too clanky.

I ended up buying a Lumberjack which sounds great on bass, quite like an old school fuzz, similar to some of the tones that I can get from my Malekko Bassmaster and has some sort of blend too, since the Booster control is just your clean signal, although it breaks up to a mild overdrive past noon. Also, no issues with the volume at all.

I am looking forward to trying the Hot Tubes, I hope the store receives some for the next weekend.

Edited by IBWT

Just bought one Hot Tubes yesterday and recorded a short demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4AWKQvGMn0&feature=youtu.be

It is indeed quite dark and muddy but fortunately doesn't lose much low end if you turn up the tone. The full gain sounds too farty and harsh to my taste, I prefer it as a mild boost/overdrive to fatten the bass.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='IBWT' timestamp='1404652058' post='2494405']
Just bought one Hot Tubes yesterday and recorded a short demo:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4AWKQvGMn0&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be[/url]

It is indeed quite dark and muddy but fortunately doesn't lose much low end if you turn up the tone. The full gain sounds too farty and harsh to my taste, I prefer it as a mild boost/overdrive to fatten the bass.
[/quote]

Good work - thanks